• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

22lr vs 22mag vs 5.7

There are a number of differences.

Big ones:
1. 5.7x28 is centerfire. Inherently more reliable than rimfire. This is the biggest one for me.
2. 5.7 defeats level 2 armor out of handgun, and depending on round selection, can defeat level 3.
2b. 22lr and 22 mag are stopped dead in their tracks by level 2 armor.
3. Generally and roughly speaking, 5.7 has over double the energy of 22 mag out of a handgun.
Shoot’em in the face then👍🏻

All three.

.22LR is the most efficient.

.22wmr designed to do the job that .22LR could not do from a longer barrel.
I have never had a misfire with .22wmr like I have with .22 LR but have fired thousands more .22 LR in my life time.

5.7 designed to be fired from a pistol or full auto P90 and defeat low level armor.

Pick the one to suit your needs.

I've read that more people are killed by 22 than any other caliber. Granted that's because EVERYONE has a 22, and it coming out of a rifle is no joke.

is really good 22lr ammo in a decent revolver a "good enough" option for self defense? Sure. But there's better stuff out there. SO unless physical limitations or insane budget factor in, there's no reason not to carry an autoloading 9mm or better, 38 special revolver or better, and call it a day.

5.7 was designed for a specific purpose. It was than neutered by legislation, meaning the good stuff can no longer be imported. However, Elite Ammunition makes and sells custom rounds that bring 5.7 back to it true purpose. Spend the money for the good stuff and you will not be disappointed. I have these in case of metal alien overlords invading my personal space.

Attachments

• IMG_20230730_161456_01.jpg
    IMG_20230730_161456_01.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 27
5.7 was designed for a specific purpose. It was than neutered by legislation, meaning the good stuff can no longer be imported. However, Elite Ammunition makes and sells custom rounds that bring 5.7 back to it true purpose. Spend the money for the good stuff and you will not be disappointed. I have these in case of metal alien overlords invading my personal space.

I can't get over the cost of the 5.7 ammo.

Plus

Its availability was close to non-existent for a long time.

It still isn't plentiful at most stores.

I can't get over the cost of the 5.7 ammo.

Plus

Its availability was close to non-existent for a long time.

It still isn't plentiful at most stores.
It has dropped significantly since the ruger 5.7 came out and American ammo makers got on board. What's your life worth?

No "good ammo" is plentiful right now

It has dropped significantly since the ruger 5.7 came out and American ammo makers got on board. What's your life worth?

No "good ammo" is plentiful right now

"What's your life worth?"

The 5.7 pistols are the size of a Glock 17 - a full size service pistol.

I can't imagine that the 5.7 would ever be something that I would consider for CCW.

If I CCW a handgun that size, it will most likely be in a caliber of 9mm, 10mm, 45acp, or 357mag.

That's just my preference, at least until I get too weak and feeble to handle the recoil. Then who knows?

I don't know - shouldn't we add 22 TCM into this mix? A 40 grain round traveling 2,000 ft / sec from a 5" barrel that can be fired from a converted 1911 seems kind of cool. Or the 22 TCM 9R, which can be fired from a converted Glock.

"What's your life worth?"

The 5.7 pistols are the size of a Glock 17 - a full size service pistol.

I can't imagine that the 5.7 would ever be something that I would consider for CCW.

If I CCW a handgun that size, it will most likely be in a caliber of 9mm, 10mm, 45acp, or 357mag.

That's just my preference, at least until I get too weak and feeble to handle the recoil. Then who knows?
Yea, i hear you on size but it almost doubles 9mm capacity. It is only a matter of time before you see ccw 5.7 and bolt guns in 5.7.
I'm not saying it will be 22 cheap, but as demand grows and the big companies keep making it in America it will continue to improve and more available in bulk pricing

Back
Top Bottom