• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

30-06 vs 308 for whitetail

15DD6BFB-4C68-419F-8B1B-B4EB91C959BC.jpeg
A little off subject but I shot my first deer with a .243 [which is derived from the .308 case, so it is kind of relevant], (not my first deer, but the first I have shot with a .243) last week. Left shoulder, classic heart shot, ran about 120 yards, found hair but not a drop of blood for 70 yards. A little on a leaf and on a broomsage stalk then nothing. Luckily his dragging the shoulder left enough sign to track without blood and I located him. Is this normal for a .243?
As regards the .308 vs 30-06 debate I have shot more deer with the .308 but no recovery issues with either.
My son shot his first deer a doe and his first Buck with a 243 a few weeks ago. Both deer were 125-150 yards and both dropped where they stood.

Bullet placement and either one will do fine. Spent a few months processing deer years ago, the state required the caliber to be listed with the carcass and being a gun nut I paid attention to wounds. The most devastating wound that I saw were from a 44 magnum Ruger carbine, and 300 Win Mag. The 44 blew an easy 6 inch hole out the opposite side. Also anyone shooting deer with a 300 Win Mag or above is just nuts if they like meat. One was brought in with 5 rounds of 300 Win Mag placed along the spine. He used an auto and no sense, bragged that he placed all 5 shots into a running deer. he also got back almost no meat. The most impressive kill was a deer with about 3/4 inch of fat cover, no caliber listed and no wounds. We sorta figured that one ate with the cows and died from a hammer to the head.

Emotions removed from the discussion, I would say there is very little if any discernable difference in performance on whitetails.
Ammo choices are vast for both calibers and reloading even greater.. Remember the projectile is the exact same.. a 308 is just a 3006 short.. LOL
Flip a coin and go put some meat in the freezer..
Well said.

I own both calibers in question and have killed deer with both. Neither the deer nor I can tell the difference.
I shoot 180 grain Barnes TTSX’s in the 06’ and 168 grain TSX’s in the .308. I could shoot lighter bullets in either but the rifles shoot those loads the best. There’s a little bit less felt recoil with the 308, but that’s about it.

Back
Top Bottom