• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

300 aac blackout subsonic. How loud is it with no supressor?

You can get a silencer for $400 plus $200 NFA tax (once in your lifetime) and maybe $40 for fingerprinting and passport sized pics.
$640 isn't a lot of money to make a real deer rifle in an appropriate caliber hearing-safe, or close enough that your daughter can use disposable foam ear plugs for protection.
A youth sized rifle with a factory threaded muzzle is the only other thing you need.

You can get a silencer for $400 plus $200 NFA tax (once in your lifetime) and maybe $40 for fingerprinting and passport sized pics.
$640 isn't a lot of money to make a real deer rifle in an appropriate caliber hearing-safe, or close enough that your daughter can use disposable foam ear plugs for protection.
A youth sized rifle with a factory threaded muzzle is the only other thing you need.
Not just the cost. It's the paperwork that you sign saying they can come have a look whenever they feel like it. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

...Plus the bullet will drop like a rock over 50 yard zero. I would definitely limit shots to under 100 yards.... But that's just me.

Actually, the 200-240 grain sharply pointed boat-tail bullets for subsonic .30 cartridges tend to NOT shed velocity quickly, and the bullet drop is manageable out to 150 tards if the hunter can estimate distances and memorize a few standard hold-overs.

Not just the cost. It's the paperwork that you sign saying they can come have a look whenever they feel like it. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

You R miss steak-N.

I've never heard of ATF or any state or local authorities coming to check on the silencers, machine guns, short-barreled long guns, AOWs, or destructive devices of any private owner or collector.

Dealers, yes. FFL firearms dealers and SOT class III special weapons dealers can get periodic inspections either randomly or when there's suspected violations, but not private owners.

I got my first NFA weapon, a machine gun, nearly 30 years ago. I've owned every single classification of NFA restricted device since then. The Feds have never come knocking on my door or inquiring in any way of me or my toys.
Nor have they contacted any client of mine, and I've written a lot of NFA trusts and given advice on this topic to many clients.

I'm thinking the best deer rifle for pre-teen children would be:

AR platform carbine in .223, with pencil-thin 16" bbl and threaded muzzle.
Adjustable butt stock but WITH a cheek riser pad for proper cheek weld when aiming thru optics.
Free floated fore-end, SLIM, round, keymod OK but no rails.
Barrel 1:8 or 1:9 twist. You want it to stabilize cheap 55gr plinking ammo, 65 grain bullet deer loads, and 77-grain match boattail loads for 500-800 yard shooting targets or ringing steel.

And then stick a suppressor on it.
Any silencer would help a lot, even a .30 can or 9mm can (if it can handle the pressure).
Quieter guns give new shooters and beginner hunters a more comforable shooting experience, letting them master their weapon rather than fear it.

Actually, the 200-240 grain sharply pointed boat-tail bullets for subsonic .30 cartridges tend to NOT shed velocity quickly, and the bullet drop is manageable out to 150 tards if the hunter can estimate distances and memorize a few standard hold-overs.

Velocity maintains decently, that is true. But with <1000fps, getting a projectile that size to expand fully to create maximum wound channel is very tough (especially over 100yds when speed will be in the lower 900's). Which was my velocity argument.

Bullet drop is consistent yes, it's basic math. With a 208gr subsonic, however, on a 100 yard zero, shooting at 150yds is -13 inches, 200yds is -35 inches. Another 100yds (300yds) is -112 inches. That's almost 10 feet! So like I said, to me 3 feet of drop at 200 yards on a 100 yard zero is ridiculous, especially for a child to shoot at an animal with as the OP stated was the intent.

I have a .300BO SBR that I shoot sub's/super's/suppresses/unsuppressed, and stand by emphatically that shots at deer over 100yds is risky for anyone, extremely risky for a child. That being said, I'm not sure what you're trying to school me on, but ok.

Nah, that's not the case. It is a bunch of crap though. You pay the $200 tax for the privilege of owning one, but if you travel or change length or caliber of it, you're supposed to notify the ATF.

Get the .300 BLK and a good quality can and run supersonic ammo (Barnes TAC TX) It will be hearing safe. Subsonic 300 BLK on medium size game is absolutely silly for anyone that is less than very experienced in anotomy, ballistics and marksmanship.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Excellent communication on the subject

Back
Top Bottom