• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

.40, why/why not?

What is not to like about the 40sw if you know the ballistic table it is just as powerful as a 45 and holds more rounds, and if you know bullet design most 40sw fmj is flat tip that is designed to cut/brake bone unlike round nose that deflects off bone, the only reason I could see someone not liking 40sw is it being to snappy for their taste.

What is not to like about the 40sw if you know the ballistic table it is just as powerful as a 45 and holds more rounds, and if you know bullet design most 40sw fmj is flat tip that is designed to cut/brake bone unlike round nose that deflects off bone, the only reason I could see someone not liking 40sw is it being to snappy for their taste.

HMM? well by more powerful if you mean more FT LBS of energy the 38 Super has more power than the 45 or 40 and holds more rounds than either, the 357 Sig also has a lot more power than either, actually I would have to run the figures but I believe the 9 MM Plus P might have more power than the 45?
and you can get many different projectile profiles in a 400 diameter projectile, now true the most common factory round is flat nose, but you can get those in .355, .357. and .451 as well.
actually my target rounds are 45 acp flat points as is the 380 and 10 MM.
need a better argument I think?
carry what works for you is what I say.

HMM? well by more powerful if you mean more FT LBS of energy the 38 Super has more power than the 45 or 40 and holds more rounds than either, the 357 Sig also has a lot more power than either, actually I would have to run the figures but I believe the 9 MM Plus P might have more power than the 45?
and you can get many different projectile profiles in a 400 diameter projectile, now true the most common factory round is flat nose, but you can get those in .355, .357. and .451 as well.
actually my target rounds are 45 acp flat points as is the 380 and 10 MM.
need a better argument I think?
carry what works for you is what I say.

Very true about the 38super and you can get flat tip ammo in just about everything I like just about all calibers just giving a little info and you took it to the next level and topped it off lol.

.40 is easy to find during scares/panics and nobody seems to like them so the guns are usually discounted.

What's not to love? I doubt some idiot on the other end will laugh at you because you shot him with a .40 instead of a .45 / 9mm / whatever.

Though I prefer 10mm, but I know that's a little too snappy for some folks.

The 40 is not more powerful than the 45. refer to any reloading manual. the max velocity of a 180 grain bullet in the speer manual # 14 for a 40 cal round is 1027fps. the 45 on the other hand in the same manual list a 185 grain bullet at 1047fps. which gives the 45 a slight edge((a little more velocity with a little more weight with a larger bullet diameter) however the 45 allows you to go up in bullet weight. the 225 grain 45 jhp at 935fps. what you loose here in speed you more than make up with in weight.( a 10% reduction in velocity in exchange for a 20% increase in weight). People often over look bullet diameter which must also be taken in to account other wise bullet expansion would be irrelevant.
on a side note take a look at the 44 special you can push a 200 grain bullet at 976fps. even it is more powerful than the 40. all that being said there isn't anything wrong with the 40 for a man stopper if that's what you like. It just not the most powerful round out there.

The 40 is not more powerful than the 45. refer to any reloading manual. the max velocity of a 180 grain bullet in the speer manual # 14 for a 40 cal round is 1027fps. the 45 on the other hand in the same manual list a 185 grain bullet at 1047fps. which gives the 45 a slight edge((a little more velocity with a little more weight with a larger bullet diameter) however the 45 allows you to go up in bullet weight. the 225 grain 45 jhp at 935fps. what you loose here in speed you more than make up with in weight.( a 10% reduction in velocity in exchange for a 20% increase in weight). People often over look bullet diameter which must also be taken in to account other wise bullet expansion would be irrelevant.
on a side note take a look at the 44 special you can push a 200 grain bullet at 976fps. even it is more powerful than the 40. all that being said there isn't anything wrong with the 40 for a man stopper if that's what you like. It just not the most powerful round out there.

Ok just asking so you are pushing the 45 load to maximum pressures and comparing it to standard 40sw loads so of you push the 40sw to the maximum pressures what do you have? I know Georgia Arms had a 40sw 155gr gold dot +p pushing 1350fps I usedto shoot in my glock, as for compairing it to a 44special I could compair it to a 454 or 500sw but those are a whole nother league compairing a 40sw to a 44special is kinda like comparing a 22mag to a 30,06.

Ok just asking so you are pushing the 45 load to maximum pressures and comparing it to standard 40sw loads so of you push the 40sw to the maximum pressures what do you have? I know Georgia Arms had a 40sw 155gr gold dot +p pushing 1350fps I usedto shoot in my glock, as for compairing it to a 44special I could compair it to a 454 or 500sw but those are a whole nother league compairing a 40sw to a 44special is kinda like comparing a 22mag to a 30,06.

all the loads i listed were max loads not standard. again to get the 1350fps u listed u had to drop he bullet weight to 155. check out the reloading manuals for yourself. i am not knocking the .40 for u if that is what u like and works for u. it just isn't the most powerful round out there as many claim.

Back
Top Bottom