• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

.40, why/why not?

let's look at energy.
the max energy on the .40 is 496 ft pounds, the max on the 45 is 525 ft pounds.

it just so happens that the 155 grain bullet out of the 40 generates more energy than the 165 or 180 grain weight in the 40.

The 230 grain 45 generates more energy than the 185 or 200 grain 45s.

Energy is calculated by bullet coefficient converted to energy per grain weight at the given muzzle velocity ( 180grain 40 cal has a bc of .12 tranfered to energy per grain is 2.22 x bullet weight 180 = 399.9 ft pounds of energy.

You 40 guys can look this up for yourselves in the speer manual #14 or any other. I am not knocking the 40 it just isn't what some believe it to be.

No.it isn't go back and read my post. I also list the 225 grain bullet for the 45. The 180 to 185 is apples to apples
Regardless the 45 has more power and engery which ever load you choose . Saami pressure had nothing to do with the power of the round. A 10mm has a higher pressure than a 44 mag yet it isn't as powerful. My info is based on facts and not my opinion. Carry and shoot what u like. Nothing is wrong with the .40 it just isn't up to par with the 45

Not really!
its all about pressure as to how the propellent is efficient!
one of the things that determines pressure is actual case capacity.
if you use a 180 grain bullet in a 40 S & W case then it seats further in the case than a say 150-160. so pressure spikes sooner at lower powder charges.
IF you seat a 185 grain projectile in a 45 acp case then it increases case capacity (which is already greater than a 40 S & W case), over using a 230 grain projectile.
that's like saying that you can test a 175 grain 9 MM cartridge and it be equal to a 175 grain 45 acp projectile.
pressure (SSAMI ) or otherwise has everything to do with safe loadings.
you can use many powders that are not efficient for the load and spike pressure early and not have good FPS, while IF you use the most efficient powder then you get the best loading with the lowest pressure.
anyway, that's all I am into this string about at this point.
as for pressure you do realize that in almost every situation the cartridge case is the determining factor at what pressure a cartridge operates at?
the 44 magnum has both a larger capacity and very thick brass case.

Not really!
its all about pressure as to how the propellent is efficient!
one of the things that determines pressure is actual case capacity.
if you use a 180 grain bullet in a 40 S & W case then it seats further in the case than a say 150-160. so pressure spikes sooner at lower powder charges.
IF you seat a 185 grain projectile in a 45 acp case then it increases case capacity (which is already greater than a 40 S & W case), over using a 230 grain projectile.
that's like saying that you can test a 175 grain 9 MM cartridge and it be equal to a 175 grain 45 acp projectile.
pressure (SSAMI ) or otherwise has everything to do with safe loadings.
you can use many powders that are not efficient for the load and spike pressure early and not have good FPS, while IF you use the most efficient powder then you get the best loading with the lowest pressure.
anyway, that's all I am into this string about at this point.
as for pressure you do realize that in almost every situation the cartridge case is the determining factor at what pressure a cartridge operates at?
the 44 magnum has both a larger capacity and very thick brass case.

what has any of that got to do with the power of the 45 vs the 40. (if you base power on a cartridges pressure a 40 cal would have more power than a 45/70 which has a pressure limit of 28000CUP). bullet weight, case thickness, jacket hardness, bullet coefficient, case capacity, bore diameter and sometlmes case head space all play into the pressure. read my last post on energy. please do some research, look it up yourself. and by all means enjoy your 40

you can lead a horse to water...

The great thing about the Glock .40s is you can buy a conversion barrel and 9mm mags to shoot 9mm out of them. That way, you can shoot the cheap ammo and buy .40 during the panic.

They Can also be easily converted to .357 SIG.

These threads are entertaining. I have a novel idea: How about everyone shoot what they like and not worry about what everyone else carries, or in their opinion, which is better?

I'm ok with .40

On a day to day basis, I typically carry a Glock 19 (9mm) or Glock 27 (.40). I never understood the animosity toward .40

The ammo is fairly cheap and .40's are by no means recoil heavy.

I'm ok with .40

On a day to day basis, I typically carry a Glock 19 (9mm) or Glock 27 (.40). I never understood the animosity toward .40

The ammo is fairly cheap and .40's are by no means recoil heavy.

I get quite a few .40 shooters who are frustrated by their lack of accuracy with it.... especially when shooting under stress &/ or one-handed.

As "cmshoot" suggested shooters from beginner to advanced all usually shoot a 9mm much better than the .40.

Hate it, always have. I just see it as a solution in search of a problem. People claim it has the capacity of a 9mm with the power of a .45 but it's really the other way around these days. If I can't kill it with a 9mm or a .45 then I probably need a rifle anyway. And since no one has made a g19 sized handgun that shoots 7.62x39, then I'll keep carrying 9mm.

There isn't anything wrong with a 40 if that is what one likes. I am not a 40 hater. I was just showing data that it isn't more or equal to a 45s power as some on here stated. I hate to see misinformation stated as fact. The 40 approches the 45 power level just doesn't quite make it. I would not want to be looking down the business end of either. The 40 is a good round for law enforcement or personal defence provied the correct bullet is used, Is it the best man stopper? well that is a matter of opinon and wili always be debated. I perfer a 45, i sometimes carry 9 or when i can a 357 mag. ( i keep hoping sig will come up with a way to make a P938 44 magnum! lol).

Now if you really want entertainment, post how glock sucks and something else is better. you will have some of these guys coming by your house with tp and eggs while you are asleep...

There isn't anything wrong with a 40 if that is what one likes. I am not a 40 hater. I was just showing data that it isn't more or equal to a 45s power as some on here stated. I hate to see misinformation stated as fact. The 40 approches the 45 power level just doesn't quite make it. I would not want to be looking down the business end of either. The 40 is a good round for law enforcement or personal defence provied the correct bullet is used, Is it the best man stopper? well that is a matter of opinon and wili always be debated. I perfer a 45, i sometimes carry 9 or when i can a 357 mag. ( i keep hoping sig will come up with a way to make a P938 44 magnum! lol).

Now if you really want entertainment, post how glock sucks and something else is better. you will have some of these guys coming by your house with tp and eggs while you are asleep...

Lol yep say something bad about glocks or 1911s and sit back and enjoy.

Back
Top Bottom