• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

5.7 Pistols

Favorite 5.7 Pistol

• FN

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • Ruger

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • S&W

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • PSA

Votes: 10 23.3%

• Total voters
I’d also like to point out the 22TCM cartridge. If you think 5.7 is soft body armors worst nightmare, you should see what that 22TCM will do to a steel target. Ask me how I know? 😂

Cost is a huge factor for some...it was for me when I was younger.

Lots of folks will buy a 9mm and the only ammo it will ever see is 9mm ball due to cost difference between ball and good hollow points.

.45 acp ball doesn't have to expand to .45 caliber as it starts there. It is pleasant to shoot in a full size steel 1911...a pain to carry sometimes.
It uses mass for it's effect which leads to recoil.
5.7 uses velocity and bullet construction.
In a light weight gun 5.7 is easier and more pleasant to shoot.

If you can shoot well with your chosen rig/set up your ahead of the game.

I will let you in on secret squirrel stuff....most people can't shoot well even if they own a pistol....and go to a range ever so often.

This is due most to lack of proper training and the cost involved.
Some people start out with a gun seen in a movie or a "friend's" advice.

I always ask if it is a range gun or a carry gun...then we get into the details of each.

5.7 is an easy gun for people to shoot well. I have seen people try to start with .357 magnum or .45 ACP and it not be a pleasant experience and they get soured on the practice/training idea even though they could afford the ammo. Also this can lead to bad habits forming which undermine confidence.

The whole 5.7 is it good thing is basically you don't want to be shot by it. The Fort Hood shooting statistics are horrendous for the victims, even the survivors who were wounded in the arm or leg.

In the hands of a decent shooter any caliber can be lethal whether it is a $40 box of ballistic tips or a $7 box of Wolf.

Buy a 5.7...try it trade it in on a S&W .500 if you don't like it, I know which one I don't like shooting.

The size of most 5.7 pistol is about the same as a Glock 17.

I know the barrel needs to be on the long side to get the required velocities for the bullet.

If you are thinking plinking that's one thing. Then maybe it is competing with 22lr's and 22 mags. It would be way, way, more expensive in that roll than a 22.

If you are thinking CCW, it is competing with full size service pistols like the G17 just to name one of MANY.
That is a very tough arena.

Most people are looking for smaller profiles for CCW - hence the popularity of the P365 and its clones.

Oh well. Just trying to see where it would fit in for my needs.

Ok.

Maybe one last niche that might make the most sense.
Home Defense for an elderly great grandmother - really anyone who is very, very recoil sensitive due to arthritis, age, etc..
In that arena, I can see it competing with 22lr's and 22mags. It probably comes out on top when considering terminal performance and overall reliability of cartridge and firearm.

I know the barrel needs to be on the long side to get the required velocities for the bullet.

If you are thinking plinking that's one thing. Then maybe it is competing with 22lr's and 22 mags. It would be way, way, more expensive in that roll than a 22.

If you are thinking CCW, it is competing with full size service pistols like the G17 just to name one of MANY.

Most people are looking for smaller profiles for CCW - hence the popularity of the P365 and its clones.

Ok.

Home Defense for an elderly great grandmother - really anyone who is very, very recoil sensitive due to arthritis, age, etc..
In that arena, I can see it competing with 22lr's and 22mags. It probably comes out on top when considering terminal performance and overall reliability of cartridge and firearm.
With proper ammo selection, the 5.7 defeats level 3a armor. 9, 45, 40, 10mm are all shut down with level 2. Something to consider.

Ok.

The M&p and the Psa are very thin
The M&p is way way thinner than a g17 and much lighter, matter fact fully loaded with 23 rnds is lighter than a Glock 19 , don’t print at all when carrying it . Now appendix carry would be difficult due to the length but 3 o’clock iwb easy peasy all day.
There’s no reason to compare 5.7 to 22lr or 22 magnum ,they are not even in the same category. From power, capability, capacity etc , apples to oranges.

With proper ammo selection, the 5.7 defeats level 3a armor. 9, 45, 40, 10mm are all shut down with level 2. Something to consider.
If you could get your hands on that "proper ammo." Where do you buy that ammo that is listed for military and law enforcement? Asking for a friend.

Back
Top Bottom