• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

5.7 Pistols

Favorite 5.7 Pistol

• FN

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • Ruger

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • S&W

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • PSA

Votes: 10 23.3%

• Total voters
And level 2 stands no chance against 5.7 out of a handgun.
So the claim to fame for a 5.7 as a CCW is penetration of level 2 body armor if you can get your hands on the "proper ammo."

If you were in the military or even a cop in a big Dem city that argument might hold water.

The chances of most of us civilians ever being up against a perpetrator in body armor is very, very minute.
In that case, may I suggest a head shot or a shot to the groin.

My favorite 5.7, right now, is the Ruger, mainly because that is the one I own and the magazines interchange with my Ruger LC Carbine. I also have a 5.7 barrel for my Contender.

I have owned two of the FN FiveseveN pistols, a PS-90, and a couple of AR-57s. I like the little round but do wish the price was a little lower. I do reload them and can honestly say that it is the hardest round to load that I have ever seen.

So the claim to fame for a 5.7 as a CCW is penetration of level 2 body armor if you can get your hands on the "proper ammo."

If you were in the military or even a cop in a big Dem city that argument might hold water.

The chances of most of us civilians ever be up against a perpetrator in body armor is very, very minute.
Not only that , a light weight ,flat shooting pistol with low recoil ,faster follow up shots if needed high capacity and with 380 ft lbs of energy that can put any two legged predator down.

My favorite 5.7, right now, is the Ruger, mainly because that is the one I own and the magazines interchange with my Ruger LC Carbine. I also have a 5.7 barrel for my Contender.

I have owned two of the FN FiveseveN pistols, a PS-90, and a couple of AR-57s. I like the little round but do wish the price was a little lower. I do reload them and can honestly say that it is the hardest round to load that I have ever seen.

Most annoying is having to use the press primer tool rather than my universal hand primer because the case won't stay in place.

The chances of most of us civilians ever being up against a perpetrator in body armor is very, very minute.
No. Level 2 is defeated out of a pistol. Period. Level 3a is what is defeated out of a rifle or SBR, but proper ammo selection is required to defeat 3a out of a handgun. It is also light weight, high capacity, low recoil. It defeats armor, it defeats more cover, it is very reliable.

I'm not saying that it is necessary to have a handgun defeat level 2 and 3 armor. I am saying that it does and can whereas the other popular handgun cartridges simply cannot and having the ability to do so is a consideration.

These simple-minded fudd arguments of "likelihood" get old. Yeah - you are likely to not need a fire extinguisher, smoke detectors, CO2 detectors, or deadbolts. But you should. You are also likely to not need to use your CCW at all as well. But that does not mean that you won't. And while we are at it with these fudd retorts, no, a 22lr or 22 magnum is not a good defense choice. It may be someone's only ability and something is better than nothing. Ball ammo is not a good choice. No, I don't want to be shot by one. But there are far superior options for defense.

I was very surprised that more people were not voting for the Ruger.

I only know what I have seen on videos. I thought the FN would be far and away the best. Most videos don't support that view.

The S&W looks to be the most unique with its recoil/operating system. I wonder how that system will stand the test of time.

The PSA is the value pick - hands down. Its thick fluted barrel looks to be pretty nice.

I am teetering on getting a 5.7 pistol but haven't been able to convince myself that it is worth it.
If I do, it probably won't be the FN simply because of the very high price point, and I don't see that it is any better than the other offerings.

I’m still team S&W all day but Ruger does have the cool factor :cool:
4BA6A12E-5482-4694-8FCD-783D02F36999.jpeg

After looking at many videos, The S&W started looking pretty sweet. Most say, it is the lowest recoil of the lot.

But, when I started looking at reviews on Academy, Midway, etc.., the S&W looks to have a few common issues:

1) Many people are complaining that the magazines do not feed reliably. Something gets caught and prevents spring tension for the top cartridge.

2) Many have mentioned issues about the lower being "warped" causing a large gap between the slide and frame.

Since Ruger has had their 5.7 on the market longer, they tend to have many more reviews. And most of the reviews are very good. I have seen No common problem and very few problems of any sort.

PSA's Rock seems to be a solid pistol, but reviews are harder to come by - especially on 3rd party sites.

What is your take on reliability of each?

How long until S&W resolve their quality issues?

I was looking at one as a night-stand weapon for an aging granny with arthritis in her hands.

My Personal experience with the S&W…

Lowest recoil of the bunch. It’s a pleasure to shoot.

The frame is not warped. However, due to geometries there is a gap where it meets the front half of the slide, which is odd, but you gotta go looking for it to even notice it.

Early on I had one FTFeed and one FTExtract with the cheap American Eagle 40gr ammo. (I’ve heard this ammo has problems with other 5.7 models, not just the S&W. But the gun too could be partially to blame.) That was early on, first box of ammo. No problems after that. Sounds like it just needs breaking in and like any HD weapon, needs a lotta rounds to prove reliability.

One thing granny needs to do is hold the S&W vs the others. The S&W grip is much “longer” from front to back. She Might not be able to get her paws wrapped around the oblong shape.

Back
Top Bottom