• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

9mm HP reloading question

Most jhp bullets are a little shorter than fmj round nose bullets, anyway, I load jhp to about 1.110 and use 4.2 gr tight group, as said above 3.7 gr may not cycle, I think the bullet needs seated a little deeper, I shoot mine in a glock with no problems.
I believe the problem may be OAL, hope this helps.

Your COL is too long

I will reload a couple mags of around 1.110 -1.115 COL and try that. But I don't think the 3.7 grain powder charge is a factor because I have loaded and fired several thousand 115 gr FMJRN 9mm with this same powder charge without a single jam or anything. I only had this to show up with these hollow points. I never reloaded 9mm hollow points because I use factory load hollow points for S D ammo. I usually reload the FMJRN for target practice. Usually 300-400 rounds a week.

Thanks

I think you are right, I load soft loads and they work fine, when a bullet is loaded to a shorter OAL folks are worried about pressure, but these need to be a shorter oal, and a good crimp which I am sure you are familiar with, I have loaded for 35 years and tried lots of recipes , if the crimp is tight, oal makes a lot of difference.

I think you are right, I load soft loads and they work fine, when a bullet is loaded to a shorter OAL folks are worried about pressure, but these need to be a shorter oal, and a good crimp which I am sure you are familiar with, I have loaded for 35 years and tried lots of recipes , if the crimp is tight, oal makes a lot of difference.

Yeah, i was thinking about the added pressure when setting the seat of the bullet. Now you bring up another good point with the crimp. On my 9mm FMJRN i don't usually crimp them at all. I just make sure the flare is just enough for the bullet to seat without damaging the case so i have a good tight fit without the crimp. On 38 / 357 magnum, i use a good tight crimp. But on the 9mm HP's i loaded up i put a light crimp on 12 and no crimp on the other 13 (i only loaded 25 to start with and test fired these) and kept them seperate. I had the same problem with and without the crimp. Maybe I didn't put a tight enough crimp?

This afternoon i am going to load up some more with a COL of 1.110. I will put a medium tight crimp on half of them and see what happens.

Thanks

This bullet is shown loaded at 1.014 in the Lyman manual. I would contact Sierra. I dont have a Sierra book handy, but I do remember loading them short per the book.

When trying a new bullet, I make up a dummy at the recommended length from the maker. Then run it through the action a few times to see if it feeds. If it feeds OK, then I make up 4 more and try it again. Saves some grief at the range. If it doesnt work on live fire, you might have to adjust the powder charge or COL to get it to work.

You may find some bullets just wont work in your pistol.

Sounds like you do as I do with the flare, the crimp is just a taper, not near as much as a 38. As far as pressure goes, you are at the lower with powder so it won't be a problem seating deeper, I've loaded many at 4.2gr at 1.110 and they shoot well.
Sounds like you are doing everything right

Most jhp bullets are a little shorter than fmj round nose bullets, anyway, I load jhp to about 1.110 and use 4.2 gr tight group, as said above 3.7 gr may not cycle, I think the bullet needs seated a little deeper, I shoot mine in a glock with no problems.
I believe the problem may be OAL, hope this helps.
thats the exact recipe l use for my 9 mm 115 grain loads coal 1.11 . never had any problem.

Take the barrel out of your weapon, drop the finished round in the chamber, apply a little pressure to the rear of the cartridge, see if you can spin/turn the cartridge with your finger while holding slight pressure on it.
if the cartridge spin/turns the cartridge should function as to taper / OAL and projectile shape.
IF not then look at OAL and bullet shape, it should also easily drop out of the barrel when the barrel is turned up with chamber facing down.

Buy a chamber gage it mimics the chamber and you don't have to use the barrel, just put each one into the gage if it fits flush and don't protrude past open end, it'll fit the gun.

Buy a chamber gage it mimics the chamber and you don't have to use the barrel, just put each one into the gage if it fits flush and don't protrude past open end, it'll fit the gun.

True!
BUT the gage isn't a representation of YOUR guns chamber, only a representation of SAAMI chamber dimensions.
IF you use the actual barrel that is in the gun then you know it will work in YOUR gun.
that is the point.
Plus you don't need to buy anything, assuming that your gun came with a barrel included.

If the guns chamber don't match SAMMI specs then that is more of a problem that could lead to a catastrophic failure.
I load approx. 2-5K a year and shoot competitively and have been using the same $22 chamber gage for years and the rounds work in any gun, not just mine but anyone's that needs to borrow a few.
True though your barrel is a true gage for your gun only, but if you ever trade or get another, whatya gonna do then?

Back
Top Bottom