• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

9mm reloading looking for cleaner powder & compatable with .45acp

flyingfrog509

Default rank <1500 posts Supporter
Nothing special here
160   1
Reaction score
Just finished off the last of my BlueDot for some 9mm 115gr loads. Man 150 rounds will really dirty up a gun!

I'm hoping someone might have some suggestions on the following...

1) Cleaner powder for 9mm reloads
2) Even better if the powder will work for both 9mm & .45acp

The 9mm has a 5" barrel, the 45 is a compact w/3" barrel. Eventually should be adding another 9mm with a 4" barrel and a full size .45 just to give a spread of what guns the powder will be used int.

Now sharing powder is less important to me than clean & easy to meter through a RCBS Uniflow.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Are you shooting cast bullets? Lead will smoke up a firearm no matter what powder you choose. My favorite powder is "Universal" for Hodgdon. It burns efficiently, gives good load density that aids in reliable ignition and uniformity, it works great in a bunch of different calibers, and yea, it meter good too.

So far I've only been reloading FMJ (base covered too) just to keep the lead vapors down for the children. Been shooting outdoors only so I was thinking of moving to cast bullets to save some more money. Hadn't thought that the cast would dirty up the gun regardless. I also picked the bluedot for the kids to learn to load on just for the extra saftey bonus that in 9mm you really can't over load or double charge a 9mm case with 115 gr bullets. (I'm still watching close though)

Now I just want to move up to something cleaner if possible and I don't mind paying a little extra to stick with FMJ bullets to keep it cleaner. I'm talking 30+ minutest to clean a 1911 after 120 rounds of blue dot propelled FMJ bullets.

My favorite clean powder for any plinking pistol cartridge 9mm and up is Hodgdon Clays (not International, not Universal...just plain old Clays). It's not a top velocity powder; it has a fast burn rate, in the same category as Bullseye and Red Dot, but doesn't have the graphite coating, so it doesn't dirty up a gun as much. You can double charge with it, so you have to be on your toes (you should be anyway, regardless of the powder volume).

So far I've only been reloading FMJ (base covered too) just to keep the lead vapors down for the children. Been shooting outdoors only so I was thinking of moving to cast bullets to save some more money. Hadn't thought that the cast would dirty up the gun regardless. I also picked the bluedot for the kids to learn to load on just for the extra saftey bonus that in 9mm you really can't over load or double charge a 9mm case with 115 gr bullets. (I'm still watching close though)

Now I just want to move up to something cleaner if possible and I don't mind paying a little extra to stick with FMJ bullets to keep it cleaner. I'm talking 30+ minutest to clean a 1911 after 120 rounds of blue dot propelled FMJ bullets.

I understand that many LEO range facilities are now using plated lead projectiles to address lead fumes cost efficiently.
Looks like costs are about $90+ verses $70+ per thousand ... Is there anyone using these that might want to share their experiences with them?

I've been using Solo 1000 to great success. I've got roughly 2200 rounds through my G17 without a cleaning and it looks like it's only bee about 5-600 with some of the other powders I used to use.

I tend to gravitate towards Titegroup as well. I've got a few pounds of it that I bought for 40 S&W and found that it works well in 9mm and 380. I may buy a 45 in the near future and i've seen some good loads for the ACP as well. seems to be pretty clean so far but I don't usually go thru a lot of rounds these days in the pistols.

Back
Top Bottom