• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A failed attempt to have a rational discussion of gun values

I like the idea, but everyone has a different value system, different needs at any given time, and different resources. You can join the Glock shooting sports foundation and get a Glock per year at LE price. Selling a used Glock to one of those guys or a cop for $400 probably wont happen unless its a specialty model. And too many people have "a friend" at a gun store that will buy using their employee discount. Pricing really depends on how motivated the buyer and sellers are and how rare the weapon is. I have let stuff go real cheap when I needed cash to buy something else that was about to slip away. Other times I have patiently waited for someone to be in the same boat I was in.

Just going to put this out here because, a lot of you may or probably do qualify to purchase and may not know it. You will have to pay $20 or $25 shipping Plus Tax, Plus any FFL Transfer fee you may have but to get a New Gen4 G19 (as an example) delivered for around $450 is pretty good. you can buy two a year at those prices. The list of who qualify is also included in this link.

https://www.gtdist.com/products/guns-firearms/glock-19-9mm-gen-iv-pistol-fixed-sight-5lb.html

Short Story,
Just this past weekend, I went to a brand new but very small local gun store. The prices on their New Glocks were $549 + Tax. Of course I was polite and did not say anything but simply thanked them and left. I then went right across the street to the local Pawn Shop and wouldn't you know it. They had the same Glock, very well used for $549. So you see, the ODT is not the only place where you can find used Glocks priced the way they are sometimes. They are everywhere and to be honest, I have found some decent deals here on the ODT and met some very nice people along the way. You just have to learn to look past the ones that you don't like the prices on.

It also DOES NOT matter what you pay for a gun when you get ready to sell it, it's only going to move if it's priced at or below the lowest advertised selling price someone can find elsewhere.

Actually, this is a good post. And needs discussion. If, as I was, Someone is getting into 3-gun competition and I am looking for a Glock 34 then a Zev trigger and other upgrades are worth something to me. I can either buy a stock 34 and pay for upgrades myself or buy someone else's gun that is already good to go.
However, when I'm selling a customized gun it is my experience that the mods are only worth at most .50c on the dollar. So, a Glock 34 with all the 3-gun upgrades is desirable...I'm just not gonna pay full retail.
To me, whether it's cars, guns or girls....whenever I decide to do custom mods I gotta plan on losing my ass when I sell.

It's kinda like real estate.....you only put in a pool for your own personal enjoyment. Chances are are it won't increase the value. In fact, it could be seen as a liability.

I like the idea, but everyone has a different value system, different needs at any given time, and different resources. You can join the Glock shooting sports foundation and get a Glock per year at LE price. Selling a used Glock to one of those guys or a cop for $400 probably wont happen unless its a specialty model. And too many people have "a friend" at a gun store that will buy using their employee discount. Pricing really depends on how motivated the buyer and sellers are and how rare the weapon is. I have let stuff go real cheap when I needed cash to buy something else that was about to slip away. Other times I have patiently waited for someone to be in the same boat I was in.

I agree. Dealer price on Gen 3's is/was under $450. I suppose someone would be upset if we ever posted the actual cost (snicker). Gen 4's are a bit higher. I am all for capitalism, and I understand posting with "haggle-room" in mind, but $560 for a used Glock is too high.

On the other hand, you guys keep buying the Glocks and sell me your CZs!

Back
Top Bottom