• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A reliable 1911....

Well I have draw a 1911 on more than occasion, not that more than one wouldn't be enough, and had to readjust my grip to defeat the grip safety. Many men who have carried the 1911 into harms way, Marines and Texas Rangers just to name a few, have been know to dog down the grip safeties. It' a personal thing, based on one's experience, one way or the other. What ever works for you is best for you, as they say.

I'm aware. Just said I didn't need to do it. When I was doing CQB training with fellow Marines from SOTG, several of them (but not all) had their grip safeties pinned down.

Well I have draw a 1911 on more than occasion, not that more than one wouldn't be enough, and had to readjust my grip to defeat the grip safety. Many men who have carried the 1911 into harms way, Marines and Texas Rangers just to name a few, have been know to dog down the grip safeties. It' a personal thing, based on one's experience, one way or the other. What ever works for you is best for you, as they say.

Weak hand from behind cover convinced me to dog the safety. One class and at least three times in one day I squeezed the trigger with no result. My APD SWAT buddy wrapped it with electrical tape and I never had the issue again.

My dad never dogged the safety though. Neither did my step father who carried a 1911 as a law man for 30 years.

Funny you mention the Triple Nickel. I can get there, but to get there with any consistency I have to do it with a 1911 in 9mm, and that almost seems like cheating.

Yep, can't think of an autoloader easier to run than a 9mm 1911. I've never owned one, but I've shot plenty.

Weak hand from behind cover convinced me to dog the safety. One class and at least three times in one day I squeezed the trigger with no result. My APD SWAT buddy wrapped it with electrical tape and I never had the issue again.

My dad never dogged the safety though. Neither did my step father who carried a 1911 as a law man for 30 years.

I've run them every which way you can think off. Never been an issue for me.

You almost make a good case for me to try out a glock, just haven't had much luck in staying on target with polymer guns :(

It took time with me. Glocks naturally pointed high for me when I started shooting them.

Now Glocks point natural and 1911s point low.

It took time with me. Glocks naturally pointed high for me when I started shooting them.

Now Glocks point natural and 1911s point low.

I hate the Glock grip angle. Every Glock I still own has been to Robar or Boresight Solutions for a grip reduction to "fix" the grip angle.

Yep, the same for me, support hand only shooting from a fast draw in an unconventional position (prone on my back). I have also had to readjust my grip when drawing strong hand only from a fast draw. It happens to some, but not all.

Back
Top Bottom