• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A reliable 1911....

There was also a shooting a few years ago that happened to a member on arfcom. He took a 38 special through his back that went all the way through and into his right hand. He had gun drawn and was turning to face the bad guy.

When he pointed his 1911 nothing happened. It wouldn't go off and he took another bullet into his other hand and abdomen

Luckily the bad guy was fleeing at this point and didn't stick around to shoot him some more.

He said it took him a few minutes to figure out why his gun wouldn't shoot. He didn't realize he has been hit until the event was over. It was then he released the bullet wound to his hand was preventing him from depressing the grip safety.

Ha - Not considering I've seen the scenario attempted enough to have no doubts of the outcome. I'll be in several this year though, if you're sure it will work, pony up and join me.
well i dont have a Taurus or other $400 1911 at the moment best I could do is a Sig and ods are I'm going to run out of steam before that pistol.

well i dont have a Taurus or other $400 1911 at the moment best I could do is a Sig and ods are I'm going to run out of steam before that pistol.

Second gun from the bottom is a Taurus that I bought with intentions on breaking it. I have about 10k through it. I did manage to chip the frame near the hammer but it still runs 100%.

I bought it from a Phoenix PD officer. No idea how many rounds he fired through it.

Your welcome to take her out and see if you can make her choke.

Safety is a king and MSH/magwell is Kimber, and mainspring and recoil springs have been changed but the rest is all Taurus.

i96.photobucket.com_albums_l172_snickelson1_20151012_114741_zpspq7ite1z.jpg

Therein lies the quandary. The Glock is an ugly soulless beast. It's a hammer, a tool and is well suited to the job it was designed for. There is no finesse while a well built 1911 is a work of art and the revolver is proven reliability and is almost always certain to work when you need it to.
Given the parameters of the question I'd have to go with the revolver.

I have a few wheel guns. I'm not about to wear one while kayaking.

Nothing wrong with 1911s other than they are built by an array of quality variable factories. If you want one to run forever, buy quality (Colt, Sig, DW, Kimber etc). If you wish to "upgrade" it, either know what the hell you are doing or find a reliable gunsmith. If you moan and groan about how unreliable 1911s are, quit buying Filipino pot metal crap made from recycled lawn mower blades or quit mix matching parts that don't go together well. Hint- If you are watching Youtube videos to help you take it apart and put it back together, GO...find a gunsmith. Good 1911s are like clocks on the inside. It's easy to bend / warp / improperly align the grip safety-sear spring even if you are pretty good at maintaining or working on your 1911. I would guess this is the number one malfunction problem. It isn't a design flaw. It is a people messing with something they shouldn't be messing with problem. Also, it isn't fair to compare Glock when only Glock makes Glocks to 1911s...made by everybody and customized by everybody else.

Second gun from the bottom is a Taurus that I bought with intentions on breaking it. I have about 10k through it. I did manage to chip the frame near the hammer but it still runs 100%.

I bought it from a Phoenix PD officer. No idea how many rounds he fired through it.

Your welcome to take her out and see if you can make her choke.

Safety is a king and MSH/magwell is Kimber, and mainspring and recoil springs have been changed but the rest is all Taurus.

i96.photobucket.com_albums_l172_snickelson1_20151012_114741_zpspq7ite1z.jpg
Yeah the Taurus is massively underrated, Awesome collection BTW it just needs a few externals.

I'm planning on buying another 1911 in the next couple of days too. If I can find someone on here that will take PayPal I will buy one from here. If not I will have to buy one from a store.

Gotta spend a visa gift card my company gave me.
Durn... your company hiring? I've worked at mine for 19 years, never gotten a gift card that would help me purchase a gun.

Back
Top Bottom