• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

A slight change in tune of my opinion on the 380.

Sure ammo helps. The HST penetrates enough for me to make my move and make it out of the danger zone or to my vehicle where penetration is not a problem.
Just remember that the reason the penetration is so important is because you could be shooting someone at a poor angle and even through their hands and arms if they are pointing a weapon at you.

I got out of .380 because of a couple reasons. First it was too convenient and I got into the habit of grabbing it all the time. Second, I was staggering between FMJ and HP in the mags for expansion and penetration... I figured why? Third, ammo is pretty expensive considering what it is. It made no sense. I admit though, I have been looking at them again...:wacko:

The part where you mentioning it clogs through cloth reminds me of an article by Mossad Ayoob ( spell check please) from decades ago where he tried to settle the age old 9mm versus 45 ACP debate. In short he said it depends on what season it is. In the summer he claimed to carry a Smith single stack 9mm for ease of concealment and since potential attackers would likely be in shorts and T shirts. But in winter he went back to carrying some type of 45ACP. The reason was that winter clothing would be layered and most likely clog the cavity of any hollow point essentially turning it into a plain round nose projectile. And given that fact he chose to carry the larger caliber round nose projectile.
I don't own a 380 at this time but there are several of them I really like. The Bersa guns would be near the top of the list. I wish they would offer the Thunder series 380 in a lighter polymer frame.
For the most part the more modern bullets have solved the problem of clogging in the heavier calibers. The HST bullet from a 9mm doesn't have the problem at all. And the XTP doesn't have it even in 380. The clogging issue is the primary reason the beloved Gold Dot is starting to fall out of favor.

Whew! How timely. With warmer weather approaching I was thinking about switching from the CZ to pocket carrying a Walther. But I kept telling myself "Self, no can do, Bear won't approve." I was sad and conflicted. :sad:
But now.... I feel like I'm running naked with my shrimp boots on! :whoo: :dance:
Thanks Bear! ;)
Glad I could help, but could have done without the visualization. :fear:

Just remember that the reason the penetration is so important is because you could be shooting someone at a poor angle and even through their hands and arms if they are pointing a weapon at you.
True. Too much penetration and you kill someone behind the threat. So it is a two way street. I would not engage with my 42 unless I had no other option.

Back
Top Bottom