• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Acres to Members Ratio

We have 60 to a member but usually its only me, my wife's grandfather and her uncle down there so it jumps up to 130 per member, we all chip in to buy stands so it's not like we are "huntin in someone else's stand"

While 1:100 is generally considered the rule of thumb gold standard (good luck finding it) the TYPE OF ACRES are FAR more important than the quantity. It all depends on how huntable the acreage is. If it's 300 acres of pasture or ankle high pines, you can only hunt so many with limited success. If it's 300 acres of thick swamp, hard wood ridges, and transition zones, it's a whole other ball game.
Some might find this thread useful. https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/questions-to-ask-before-joining-a-club-add-yours.967545/

I like 100:1 but it depends on the land and the hunters (if you know them). For instance, I hunt a 480 track of land with a few guys. I know them well and trust them with my life and lots of times we hunt close to each other to try and alert the other of movement. If I was hunting WMA's or clubs where I didn't know/trust the members, I would want to be as far away from them as possible.

The few clubs I've been on were mostly from from 40 to 60 acre per. , But after the first couple weeks only a few of us were regular on weekend and I was nearly alone during the weekdays.

The last one was 30+ per. ,but I mostly hunted during the week and was either alone or only had 1 or 2 others on property.

I would prefer to have at least 100 to myself ,but it usually ends up being half that or less in the actual math.

I grew up hunting my Papaw's farm near Tyrone ,which is about 50 acres and mostly by myself ,or just my uncle there . But it's a subdivision now :(

Back
Top Bottom