AK- ? For Dummies

Boot71

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
145   0
Reaction score
Ok guys and gals.... get the laughing out of the way up front over a serious question. I had an SKS years ago, and that's my only experience with anything 7.62x39. It was a cheap Chinese something but it was ridiculously dependable. I wish I hadn't sold it. It ate the cheapest garbage ammo I fed it, never complained, and never got cleaned very well. (shame on me)
I want an AK something but have very little practical knowledge of the platform. Any serious help would be appreciated.
I don't need a super whiz bang Soviet special forces rifle, I'm just looking for a quality, durable AK. Should it be an AK47, AK74, MAK90, or an AK(whatever else number is out there)? Any particular brands to have faith in right out of the box? Any particular brands to avoid like the plague? What should I be looking close at on a used rifle? If a particular brand is "OK", what issues should I be inspecting for before purchase? Any features I should avoid or insist on? What would be a reasonable budget for a decent quality rifle? Yes, I've used the "search" feature, and have been all over other forums on the subject, but I'd like whatever info is available from the collective knowledge of the good ol' ODT.
No, this isn't a joke, I'm legitimately that ignorant on the platform, and I'm hoping some of y'all will chime in with some help on the subject.

Ok guys and gals.... get the laughing out of the way up front over a serious question. I had an SKS years ago, and that's my only experience with anything 7.62x39. It was a cheap Chinese something but it was ridiculously dependable. I wish I hadn't sold it. It ate the cheapest garbage ammo I fed it, never complained, and never got cleaned very well. (shame on me)
I want an AK something but have very little practical knowledge of the platform. Any serious help would be appreciated.
I don't need a super whiz bang Soviet special forces rifle, I'm just looking for a quality, durable AK. Should it be an AK47, AK74, MAK90, or an AK(whatever else number is out there)? Any particular brands to have faith in right out of the box? Any particular brands to avoid like the plague? What should I be looking close at on a used rifle? If a particular brand is "OK", what issues should I be inspecting for before purchase? Any features I should avoid or insist on? What would be a reasonable budget for a decent quality rifle? Yes, I've used the "search" feature, and have been all over other forums on the subject, but I'd like whatever info is available from the collective knowledge of the good ol' ODT.
No, this isn't a joke, I'm legitimately that ignorant on the platform, and I'm hoping some of y'all will chime in with some help on the subject.
First thing you have to have is a budget number oh, I've seen some pretty decent hey ak's listed on here lately. It's from what I've read that you have to be cautious of the American-made ones oh, and the later Century Arms piece together.
I have an old Yugo that was a early Century Arms import I could not be happier with. The AK guys are getting as bad as the Glock guys.
So like everything else on ODT take opinions with a grain of salt.
Start out with a WASR 10 BEATER you will become addicted and as opinionated on the platform...
I seem to remember a nicely priced m70ab1 that was the old style with the thicker receiver, 1.5, and appeared to be in pretty darn good shape right here on ODT

I just recently also got into the AK platform and did a crap ton of research before getting one:

1. It's highly recommended to buy an imported AK. WASR seems to be the gold standard, but Zastava's are also high on the list of extremely reliable and not high priced (aka starter) aks. If you want to spend more and get nicer, Saiga and Arsenal are your choices. American made AK's, while cheaper and newer, have had a rocky start and plagued with issues. Does that mean your RAS or c39v2 is gonna blow up? No, but why risk it when there are other/better options around the same price?

2. If you get a Yugo model, there's nothing at all wrong with them, just know they won't take standard AK furniture, you'll need to get Yugo specific stuff. The market is getting more and more Yugo things, so don't let that dissuade you.

3. Prices on AK's are steadily going up. They are importing less of them and the demand is rising, so if you want an AK, get one sooner than later. It's seems like a standard basic AK usually goes for $600-$700 in this market, but again, prices are steadily rising.

4. AK's are stupid simple compared to AR's. There's literally like 4 pieces inside them. When buying a used one, just make sure it goes clack-clack when you rack it. You could also check to see if the front sight is canted, but it's not a super big deal if it is, just a hassle.

5. There's a huge aftermarket support for them. Mostly cosmetic, some mechanical, but like I said in #4, there isn't much internal that can be upgraded. If you get an AK, the biggest debate is Wood vs Polyme furniture.

Hope that helps!

A very broad discussion, similar to GM vs Dodge vs Ford vs Toyota :lol: maybe a few things to mull over before jumping into your 1st AK.

Yes, as mentioned above, come up with your budget.

Preference of traditional AK look or something tacticool.
Preference for the meaty, hunting caliber or rather a zippy, low recoiling .22-ish caliber.
Considering whether you'll mount an optic on it, or not.
Preference for how compact, or not.. and lightweight or not important.
Portable rifle or something more for shooting prone or from the bench.

Some imports are to be avoided, while some domestics are nice.
Nothing tacticool, more of a traditional classic look.
7.62x39 in the first one for sure.
No optics planned. Maybe a reflex sight in the future.
Compact? Lightweight? Whatever a traditional AK is normally will be fine. Definitely not a heavy rifle that would only see a bench, but I'm too old to worry about it being a high speed/low drag operator, so no worries about it being ultralight either.

I wouldn't be afraid of a Zastava NPAP, OPAP or M92 PAP. I've had good luck with those and they are at the lower end of the price range. When I was AK shopping they often seemed to be easier to find and seemed nicer than the WASR's that were available as well.

The USA thing on AK's is true but I'm still going to probably buy one of these. https://palmettostatearmory.com/psak-47-gf3-forged-moekov-rifle-fde-5165450208.html

Lots of good options here. I wouldn't get any century produced AK though.
https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/ta...]=in_stock&limit=999999999&sorting[price]=asc

WASR 10 is a great place for you to start. Do what you want with it, traditional wood, romy wire side folder, dong or no dong, optic, no optic etc feel out the platform, dont go easy on it. If you dig AKs keep the WASR it will outlast you, if you dont pass it on for the same price or more to someone it will also outlast

Back
Top Bottom