• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Am I the only one terrible at hunting?

Most folks I know are say in its been a slow or no year...

I just didn't wanna fork over the cash for the lease ....... that an I been working a lot anyway...

Deer were moving this morning between 8:30 and 10. My buddy saw 4 and shot a big doe around 8:40. I saw 4 and shot a big doe at 9:35. Another member saw 6 deer around 9. Keep at it. You won't get a deer sitting on your sofa. Go in before daylight and stay until lunch.

Don't talk yourself out of going. You can't get one if you're not there. Use the wind, wash your clothes and yourself in scent free soap, look for trails and food sources especially this late in the season. There is much less cover this time of year, less food sources, the deer have been hunted all season and are a little spooked, and typically you will not see as many deer this late in the season. Still, there are some monsters killed every year in the late season. Being a hunter means being petient. Enjoy yourself out there and always be optimistic. I haven't even been hunting half as many times as you this year. I would give almost anything to go for a week. Been so busy this year it simply squashed my opportunities to go. 12 times is really not that much either, but for every time you go you are getting closer to getting your deer. Good luck.

I got 5 so far this year all on public land and all with a bow. It can be done but deer season needs to start about 2 month prior to opening day. Lots of scouting and work will lead to meat on the table. Find the thick stuff with good sign and cut you some shooting lanes to cross as many trails as you can. Try and find the food because that is what is going to drive the deer to move anywhere. It takes a lot to make a season a good one. I didnt sleep in one day from Sept to Dec. I had chance to take my limit but I now have plenty of meat so no need for anymore unless it is a big buck. This being your first year I can bet you are making plenty of mistakes and just dont see it yet. Everyone who hunts does that. After 3-4 years the deer killing will really pick up. Oh and I would reccomend getting some rubber boots if you already dont have any. The cheap Wlamart brown rubber boots will do when it fairly warm out. I have used them for years and had plenty of deer come across my trail and not smell me. I seen deer twice come across my trail before I started wearing them and do a 180 getting out of dodge. Another thing is since I hunt on the ground always keep your clothes in big tupperwar tupe box. I got one at wally world and all my hunting gear fits in it and I never put it on till I hit the woods. I stuff the box with pine needles that I cut up with a knife to kill the scent. Works great. PM me if you have any questions and good luck. Get out and hunt if you can in the morning cause you know you cant kill them on the couch.

images.lowes.com_product_converted_755625_755625008930lg.jpg
This is the shooting lane cutting master. Pick you up one of these for next year and you can cut lanes big enough to drive a car through in no time!

This was the first year that I have ever hunted. But d***, I simply don't get it. I went out about 12 times and didn't even see anything the first 9 times. I just don't get it, unless I am simply that terrible at this.

I hunted hogs a lot longer than deer. I used to make fun of my friends that deer hunted... I called it waiting... Well... They taught me about "waiting"... there is a lot of steps you need to do prior to the season to assure a successful hunt... find the active areas, check for tracks and droppings.... then run some corn on a feeder a few months before season starts... put some trail cameras up to make sure there are deer in that area.... put your stand up prior to season open... don't forget to take care of yourself.... scent wise..... get to the stand early.... be quiet.... try not to move much.... don't forget a piss bottle.... that should get you started.... Good Luck...

12 times is not many times and there's a lot more to it than sitting in a tree when you feel like it. If you want to be successful at least.

Don't feel bad...and don't give up. I've missed a whole lot more deer than I have killed, and I hunted for close to 5 years without seeing anything I could shoot (non-doe days). Finally got one...and believe me, it will send you over the mountain when it happens. Hunting is about patience and perseverance....so get out there and enjoy the time in the woods.

I've heard the last couple of years have been lean years. Three years ago I saw more deer in two mornings than I say over the 5 years I mentioned before combined.

Back
Top Bottom