• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Am I the only one terrible at hunting?

If it was easy we'd all have B&C mounts on our wall. You can't see any from the bed, so get out there.

You have to change how you hunt as the season progresses. The leaves are gone from the hardwoods now so they probably won't be in there, and the deer have been pressured for three months now. Find a stand of thick, nearly impenetrable cover that butts up to mature pines that have green browse in them (privet, honeysuckle or blackberry) and hunt the transition between the two. Get as high as you can in the tree, 20-25 feet, and be patient.

Control your scent, you don't need anything expensive the Hunters Specialties spray from Wally world works fine. Do whatever it takes to be still, personally I take a book to read when I start to get fidgety. Keep our movements slow and to a minimum, I always wear gloves because you move your hands more than anything else.

Above all, remember that every hunt is a learning experience whether you see anything or not. If there were no challenge, there would be no reward.

I got skunked this morning after 4 hours out. Missed one last weekend. Both my buddies shot 2 each this year. None for me. 1 of them was the big 8 pt.
I am perfectly happy with my season.
I feel lucky and fortunate to hae a place to go and buddies to be with.
Good times at camp and peaceful hours in the woods is a blessing.
It's about the journey, not the destination.
:cool-new:

Ive seen deer but the numbers seem to be down a little at my place from years past. I have killed one doe but thats it so far. I have been wearing out the yotes this year so I am still having a good time while hopefully helping increase the deer population

every time : Dear Father, Thank you for this wondeful oppertunity to be here and watch another sunrise and the woods come to life, thank you for my determination and my senses and abilitys, thank you for son Jesus Christ . Amen

Well this is normally how it works. If you fall asleep when you wake up you'll have one staring at you and it will take off like lightening. Dont leave a pee bottle. Regardless how fast you drink the drink you have with you. You'll have pee before that. Ditch the gimmicks. Go with some cover spray and leave the deer scent stuff alone for now. Focus on the basics. Food, travel, and bedding.

If it's public land throw everything out the window and just go for the thickest stuff possible if it's hit hard. Which any wma that allows guns too will be hit hard. Bow only a little different.

My favorite place to hunt is uphill from the stream on my dad's property. There's a well-worn path where the deer move through the area...so I camp out at the head of the trail coming up from the bottom. It works well because they water on my dad's property...then move up the hill to get to the neighbor's farm across the street. The trick to seeing deer is really intercepting their pattern of movement.

For scent cover...I was my hunting clothes in baking soda and then seal them in a bag. At the end of a season, I usually scoop up a few leaves in the storage bag so my clothes smell like the woods where I hunt. Then just make sure I don't wear my usual deodorant and I'm general good to go. Especially since I sit where the wind is blowing in my face if I can...

Back
Top Bottom