• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Another example of insufficient safety training by a CCW holder

Like in most activities, be they work or recreational, good training REDUCES the likelihood of accidents.
The more dangerous the activity, the more necessary good, thorough training is.

It doens't even surprise me anymore how many long-time gun owners can't even tell you what the 4 cardinal safety laws are & will repeatedly violate them while handling one in the presence of others.
I'm sure most if not all of you see the same things that I do.

Part of my point is to help avoid eventually having mandated training forced on us, if we as a community of gunowners will make sure that we are fully educated in the proper handling of guns & then will help to educate those who are new to having firearms, each of us could help to reduce the chances of something happening to one of our friends or family like the incident that took place at the beginning of this thread.

It's terrible enough when a young child's life is lost due to a crime but when it happens due to either ignorance or negligence, that's inexcusable.
There are too many people with absolutely NO training whatsoever carrying & handling guns as if they were just another "cool gadget" like a cellphone or an Ipod.
Many members on here are responsible & I've seen more than one correct someone who was violating the safety rules.
Some of those apologized & corrected their actions and quite a few others as a justification in lieu of an apology would justify their mistake by saying," It's ok... it's not loaded".... which as you all know is similar to what most shooters say to the responding officers & EMT's in the past tense
"But I didn't think it was loaded." Right as the victim is getting loaded to go to the hospital or morgue.

Last edited:
Part of my point is to help avoid eventually having mandated training forced on us,

You're so full of it, and I don't think you are being very forthcoming and genuine with the members of ODT.

I have no doubt, that if given the chance to sit down before a committee at the capital as a firearms professional/expert, you would not hesitate to sell out the citizens of the State of Georgia by telling the committee that they need to pass state mandated training before a law abiding citizen can get their GWCL.

It is clear by reading all the post you have posted in.................that you are in favor of mandated training.

I don't think an overly restrictive bill is a good idea but something along the lines of what Tennessee has wouldn't hurt.

I understand & respect what you mean but as I've said before, when a gun is carried into public where a persons lack of knowledge or proficiency could endanger others, I think a basic course would be a good idea for the same reason that you have to get a drivers license to operate a motor vehicle.... to keep people from hurting themselves or others through ignorance.

I believe people should have the right to have a firearm AT HOME but if they plan on carrying it out into public they should have to show proficiency just like the police, secur. guards, & P.I.'s do.

Does anyone here think it's ironic that ALL police, Secur. guards, & P.I's. have to train first and then AFTER they have finished their training they have to shoot a passing qualification score with EVERY single gun they intend on carrying but any UNTRAINED civilian can carry w/o doing so?

I know my view will be unpopular but this would actually create a huge amount of competition for me because the demand would be so high that every ex-this or retired-that would get their Instr. creds. & set up a range in the local cow pasture.
However no one can convince me that we as gunowners would be worse off by requiring those who carry in public to take a short little safety class & pass a basic proficiency test to carry outside the home.

Sure, I think that anyone who holds peoples' lives in their hands in public need to be trained to a minimum degree.... be they a Dr. , an E.M.T. a Fireman, a Pharmacist, or operating a motor vehicle.

But I bet the "non-gun" (not anti-gun) people would be more supportive of allowing carry on school grounds if the people with GWL's had at least minimum training.

I understand that & kind of agree but my thinking, after watching how successful gacarry.org has been is that if we could trade required training for the ability to carry EVERYWHERE except inside the courthouse or police station I would love it because I hate...(did I say,HATE!)... having to disarm.

One option I wish they would consider is making it tax deductible or reducing the cost of the GWL if someone gets formal training.

I can go on and on with your post about how great it would be to have state mandated training. Coming from a trainer, it's insulting.

For the record. GeorgiaCarry.org will never agree to any state mandated training. Their board members repeatedly say that is a no go.

You're so full of it, and I don't think you are being very forthcoming and genuine with the members of ODT.

I have no doubt, that if given the chance to sit down before a committee at the capital as a firearms professional/expert, you would not hesitate to sell out the citizens of the State of Georgia by telling the committee that they need to pass state mandated training before a law abiding citizen can get their GWCL.

It is clear by reading all the post you have posted in.................that you are in favor of mandated training.

I can go on and on with your post about how great it would be to have state mandated training. Coming from a trainer, it's insulting.

For the record. GeorgiaCarry.org will never agree to any state mandated training. Their board members repeatedly say that is a no go.

i257.photobucket.com_albums_hh221_mvandersall_Smileys_golfclap1.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom