• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anybody carry a PMR30 for self defense?

Problem is the issues are rarely easy to clear and usually require dropping the magazine. Not something the usual tap, rack, bang will fix. Because if you just try to rack the slide to clear the hangup and it doesnt clear then the next round tries to feed and with the way these magazines are designed you get a even nastier jam.

Like I said, very fun range toy but not something I would trust my life with.

Even if Kel-tec could make the gun more reliable than a Glock, it will still never be trustworthy for SD. Rimfire cartridges just don't see the QC that centerfire does and the failure rate on rimfire since the Obama election has increased substantially due to the new volume requirements. It's already difficult to make a magazine that can feed rimmed cartridges, then you combine that with how dirty WMR is and the overall low QC of rimfire and you are just asking for a stoppage at the wrong time. It's not "if", it's "when."

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Was over penetrating a issue ?
When it didn't upset they went straight out the back of the gel block. I even tried these turned brass Trident loads that were supposed to break into 3 pieces upon yaw. The front tip would deform sightly and the would channel would arc but nothing would actually separate. It's just a very inconsistent and unpredictable round.
8702eb75ee61577ea0ba3451b6d408d7.jpg

When it didn't upset they went straight out the back of the gel block. I even tried these turned brass Trident loads that were supposed to break into 3 pieces upon yaw. The front tip would deform sightly and the would channel would arc but nothing would actually separate. It's just a very inconsistent and unpredictable round.
8702eb75ee61577ea0ba3451b6d408d7.jpg

Yeah I’d say it would be better for hardened targets, but as a rifle and pistol combo it would be desirable. But price just makes it impractical.

I love the capacity of the PS90. I wish they could design the PS90 to fire 5.56 x 45mm but then the gun would probably end up being too thick, but I love the design.

22 WMR wouldn’t be my first choice for SD but 30 rounds of it would sure get the job done. As for 22 mag reliability I’ve shot thousands of rounds of 22 WMR all Hornady and CCI threw my revolvers and never once has a round not went bang.

For a CCW pistol I think there's better options, but as a field or kit gun they are hard to beat. Lightweight, lots of reasonably powerful ammo, and mostly plastic so no rust. Throw it in a boat or a tackle box or a backpack and you are good to go no matter what you run into (almost).

Mine has been pretty reliable, so long as you make sure you load the mags right, but I would still prefer a SIG P365 with 12 rounds of 9mm than 30 rounds of 22 Magnum for CCW.

22 WMR wouldn’t be my first choice for SD but 30 rounds of it would sure get the job done. As for 22 mag reliability I’ve shot thousands of rounds of 22 WMR all Hornady and CCI threw my revolvers and never once has a round not went bang.
This. where’s all this unreliable WMR? I’m aware of how a rimfire cartridge ignites and I see this unreliable ignition with LR but don’t personally see it with WMR. Thousands of rounds as well different platforms.

Back
Top Bottom