Anyone else “Down Size”

Ken Ford

Default rank 5000+ posts
Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
175   0
Reaction score
We are going to move, the area we live in is exploding and we don’t want to be crowded.
Anyway we put an offer out on a much smaller home (2/3 smaller), more land, not any real chance of encroachment. At least not anytime before we expire.
My question has any of y’all down sized this much and would you do it again?

When we moved down from New England, we downsized to a place with about 60% of the floorspace. The house we were in was 70's construction and wasn't as 'efficient' in its layout.

Both kids have flown the coop, and our only real challenge was getting rid of 20 years' worth of crap, which was hard, because my wife and I are a bit pack-rattish. I had to give up a basement workshop - which I do miss every time my wife wants something made or fixed. But I don't miss being in a larger house that needed more upkeep and maintenance.

The kids were consulted about what they'd want to keep in the event of the wife and I dying - we have no interest in leaving them a pile of furniture and tchotckies that mean nothing to them. So a lot of that crap was jettisoned.

But it's certainly doable, and it focuses the mind wonderfully.

My wife and I intend to do it over again as our 'last home' in maybe 5-8 years' time, and expect to reduce the floorspace again.

I'm not sure how much downsizing you're looking at but i know someone who just downsized from 8600' to 6200' and they seem happy about it.

Myself, I'm trying to upsize but this market is not the opportune time for that.

I have a 4735 sq foot home its just me my wife and 2 dogs. Its to big, we don't need 5 bedrooms. I have never lived in a house, apartments and dorm rooms only. My wife grew up in a house, I just think that a big house should go to a family who needs it.

Opposite.

Sold our house in Johns Creek late July so we could be a cash buyer for the next house. Next house needs to include us and my MIL so that house needs full suite on different level. Not many to be had, which is why we are still looking.

Good luck Ken!

Back
Top Bottom