• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone on here ever add an addition to your home? Any General Contractors?

Be sure to get your permits.................
tree-ordinance-stop-work.jpg

If you don't know a contractor, find one and pay him a flat fee to help. You be the supervisor. You are not paying for his expertise as much as access to his subs and his quality control

The subs will work for him on average 20% cheaper. This will make up for part of the fee. You wont find the subs you need on Angie's list. These will know the codes and deal with the inspectors every day.

The only other thing to remember is you want it done your way with no exceptions and are severely OCD get out your checkbook. Our answer to these people is anything is possible if properly funded.

In this small town things are a little more relaxed but depend on who did the work. I had my electrical box changed out and when the inspector showed up he asked to look and the electrician told him he could look through the window if he wanted. Inspector looked and gave a thumbs up. They knew each other by first name.

My issue is finding a GC. I have lived here 20yrs and pretty much know everyone because I have had them here working. All except a GC.

I am pretty flexible and easy to work with as long as the contractors don't cut corners and get the Camden County disease. Won't shop up either on time or at all, won't come back or call back and you have to hunt them to finish. A lot of that around here

If I had a million dollars and wanted to build a house down the street, who would you say. Him.

The city will have a list of permits that have been issued. If the inspectors wont refer one look at the company's/ builder . and stalk them on the internet. The good ones should have a website and pictures on facebook of projects.

And make sure they have a state contractors liscense. This olone should weed out half of them.

I finally received 1 quote and it was for $60,000.00 which sounds high at $125 sqft. I don't live in Atlanta, this is Camden County middle of nothing GA.

I finally received 1 quote and it was for $60,000.00 which sounds high at $125 sqft. I don't live in Atlanta, this is Camden County middle of nothing GA.

That doesn't sound too far out of range. This is the most expensive time of year to build, and the market is white hot right now( because of MAGA!). An addition will always cost more per sqft than a built from scratch house. Does your GC have other projects you can see, and other customers you can talk to?

I did it too. Bought a property that I had planned to bulldoze and put in apartments. Then I decided to renovate the nearly 100 year old house. Went from a single level of about 2,000 sq. ft. to a two-level 5,600+ sq. ft., then also added a 3-car 1200 sq. ft. garage. I took almost a full year off work and did it myself as the primary GC with a few subs along the way. Nothing like wiring 2, 200-amp service panels in an old home, plus all new plumbing for six full and two half bathrooms, plus new heating and air, appliances, etc. The 12-foot lower level and extremely high ceilings allowed the upper addition without much in the way of exterior roofing changes, other than a new center dormer and an additional "floating" (suspended truss) roof on the back. When I bought the house/lot, you could walk through the back walls because of rain/water damage and termite issues. The original structure did not have a wrap porch; instead, had a small shed style roof over a single front door. All new windows and doors were added too.

I drew and printed/plotted my own plans, submitted all docs to the city, and ended up with the house below, originally with vinyl siding exterior. I slowly rocked some of the front areas and replaced the porch area with hardie-board. We raised four kids in that place, with each having separate bedrooms and private baths. It was a chore but also added a lot of memories during the process before we decided that the house was just too big for two of us after the kids moved out.

The house has since had several owners, all of whom continued to improve the property, including replacing the last bit of vinyl siding with cement siding and adding new porch columns. This house is now almost 120 years old.

upload_2019-5-21_11-6-8.png

upload_2019-5-21_11-11-33.png

Back
Top Bottom