• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone Regularly Using a GoPro Camera...?

FlyDawg72

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
21   0
Reaction score
As an amateur photographer, I am CONSTANTLY snapping photos with my iPhone. Friends, activities, unique shot angles, interesting things from places I visit. My wife just got me a GoPro 3 - Silver and I'm anxious to get started using it.

From what I understand from my friends who have them, it's all about learning the editing software and making the hours of conglomerate video into a breathtaking few minutes. So I still have some work ahead of me in addition to the fun of shooting the videos.

So are any of you using the GoPro, and do you have any pointers or suggestions that help me along?

Last edited:
I have a Go Pro and use it quite frequently when offshore fishing. We use a couple of them and then edit and compile the videos into a 4-5 minute video of that particular trip. I'm no video or software expert by any means, but it is pretty easy to edit a video using basic software. I just use Windows Movie Maker that I downloaded from Microsoft. I know you can use more complex software for better effects and so forth, but these effects and features come with a high price. The basic stuff works just fine for us.

In regards to any pointers, just starting shooting as much video as you can to familiarize yourself with the camera. They work great and are easy to operate, but you'll want to learn the range and wide angle distance capabilities that it has. Mine is the standard Go Pro that I purchased a few years ago. I've heard nothing but great things about the Go Pro 3 camera.

Good luck with it and let me know if I can help in any way.

Visiting some family out of town and plan on attaching it to my dogs collar, he's a French Bulldog and it will be interesting to see his point of view from 10-12 inches off the ground.

I've never used one, but my little brother got one. I was amazed at how easy it was to use. He was operating the shot timer and running the camera at the same time, and it took a really nice video. I hope to get one at some point. At work we use to build their displays, and could have gotten one at whole sale price, but they took the design and got some chi com company to build their store displays :mad:

We have several that we use in the shoot house for AAR's. We attach them to the guns and helmets and edit the footage with IMovie.
On another note we have moved to the Replay camera and like it much better. It's smaller, has a better mic on it, has an extra battery pack for longer events and the company is very easy to work with as a dealer. You guys might not care, but from the dealer side of things GoPro SUX! Their customer service SUX (will do nothing about jacked up units), their rep SUX ( will not return calls or emails) and their editing software is way over complicated.
If your GoPro works and you know editing software you'll like it well enough and get some cool video.

I picked up a Go Pro 3 Black addition, with viewer, extra battery pack and a plethora of mounting toys. Jay is a bad or good influence on me? I have had it for three months and yet to try it...I am looking forward to a hog hunt in late January to try it out. Will follow up with a report..Remember I am next to an infant about anything technical, I pad, I Phone , or all those other gadgets that I know nothing about..But then again take a 10yr old to show me, and I am still confused..I like seeing the results on the web, from those in the know..Forgive me I know knot..Last year I went to visit a friend in Maine, His son of 7 yrs old was sitting on the couch..When I walked in, I thought he was having convolutions. He was jerking around and swinging arms. turns out he was boxing with two hand held wireless controls to something hooked up to the TV. I forget what they called it..I am so out of the loop, I understand Pac Man and Pong, beyond that I know Knot.

We have several that we use in the shoot house for AAR's. We attach them to the guns and helmets and edit the footage with IMovie.
On another note we have moved to the Replay camera and like it much better. It's smaller, has a better mic on it, has an extra battery pack for longer events and the company is very easy to work with as a dealer. You guys might not care, but from the dealer side of things GoPro SUX! Their customer service SUX (will do nothing about jacked up units), their rep SUX ( will not return calls or emails) and their editing software is way over complicated.
If your GoPro works and you know editing software you'll like it well enough and get some cool video.

I can see your point if using them in a professional situation. I've had mine for years and have not had any issue with the camera and neither have my buddies that bring their cameras. We use them exclusively in a saltwater environment and they get abused. We use them underwater for hours at a time and just spray them off when we are done for the day. Use them again the next day.

Again, I use Windows Movie Maker for editing and compiling my videos. This is basic software at best, but put some tunes to it and it is pretty cool to make some decent home videos!

Here's a link to a quick video I made last year on an overnight trip to the oil rigs out of Pensacola. Took me about an hour to put together. It is as basic as can be. Have fun with the camera!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfRcn94sWec&feature=player_detailpage

Last edited:
Edit to the above link, the shaky footage you see in the video is from a Kodak PlaySport. I also have one of them and they are great, just more sensitive to movement.

Back
Top Bottom