• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

AR build for Hiking / Camping

Fluxed glock/sig is a good PDW option. Or
CAR15f.jpg

You can be super cool dad with CAR15.

9mm AR no benefit with weight or build cost. Cartridge is also less capable than 5.56

awesome, but doesn't fit in my glovebox. I tried.

If you go below 10.3” barrel, don’t go 5.56.

If I’m camping in methy areas and not doing a bunch of backpacking, I’ll bring my MK18 with me broken down in a bag.

Small, light, reliable, and cheap usually don’t go together

Just curious, I have a 7.5" in 556 and it works very well. Why do you recommend against 556 in under 10.5"?

Just curious, I have a 7.5" in 556 and it works very well. Why do you recommend against 556 in under 10.5"?
The effectiveness of 5.56 depends mostly on it’s velocity. Less barrel length equates to less velocity. There has been a lot of testing done to see the shortest possible barrel length while still maintaining enough velocity to keep the projectile effective down range.

The shortest the military decided to bring the barrel and still have acceptable reliability, accuracy, and velocity was 10.3”. Most people nowadays seem to prefer 11.5”.

That's my concern. If you run into an aggressive bear or mountain lion a 9mm is going to piss it off. That's why I recommended the KelTec SU 16 series fold up rifle. It has enough punch to deal with any type oh sh*t moment you might run into. Nasty people aren't the only beast in the forest that can wreak havock on a nice stroll in the wood. Get as much gun as you can get that will fit the bill size wise. To ignore other dangers in the woods is potentially life threatening and a bit foolish.
Why not a 10mm handgun? Seems like it would fit that bill or even a 45. Honestly if you have time to pull out a rifle from your bag, open it up and engage something, then you really aren’t in a panic situation. If you ran across a bear or mountain lion that attacks you, you are t going to have time for all that. Larger caliber pistol is what Id suggest. I’d also suggest a large fixed blade knife.

Why not a 10mm handgun? Seems like it would fit that bill or even a 45. Honestly if you have time to pull out a rifle from your bag, open it up and engage something, then you really aren’t in a panic situation. If you ran across a bear or mountain lion that attacks you, you are t going to have time for all that. Larger caliber pistol is what Id suggest. I’d also suggest a large fixed blade knife.
Excellent point! In a Sunday morning stroll in the mornings. I though he might be co-mingling back packing with bug out undertones.
I have a Remington R1 Hunter. 6 inch long slide in 10mm. Of course it's not factory stock. Every part in it has been upgraded with Wilson Combat or Ed Brown parts. Due to the chamber design fitting more casing wrapped in chamber steel it can handle hotter loads with confidence as opposed to other 10 mm Variants. So a couple of hot loads out of that would indeed do the trick. Absolutely no problem. Very good suggestion!
If it was a bug out back pack I would still want the Keltech SU 16 B. 5.56 and uses standard AR mags. Very versatile gun. I have owned two of them but sold then to fund high end build. I am looking to get another as soon as funds present themselves.

Excellent point! In a Sunday morning stroll in the mornings. I though he might be co-mingling back packing with bug out undertones.
I have a Remington R1 Hunter. 6 inch long slide in 10mm. Of course it's not factory stock. Every part in it has been upgraded with Wilson Combat or Ed Brown parts. Due to the chamber design fitting more casing wrapped in chamber steel it can handle hotter loads with confidence as opposed to other 10 mm Variants. So a couple of hot loads out of that would indeed do the trick. Absolutely no problem. Very good suggestion!
If it was a bug out back pack I would still want the Keltech SU 16 B. 5.56 and uses standard AR mags. Very versatile gun. I have owned two of them but sold then to fund high end build. I am looking to get another as soon as funds present themselves.
For bug out, definitely a full size AR or AK for that and a pistol. Maybe an SBR. At that point, hiding anything just isn’t a good idea. That would be a completely different scenario. Just normal hiking or camping where I may encounter a bear or mountain lion, I’d want to be able to get to whatever as fast as possible. Why I also suggested a knife. Those attacks happen fast with the animal right on top of you. Closest in, a knife is better than a gun and will cause more damage.

The effectiveness of 5.56 depends mostly on it’s velocity. Less barrel length equates to less velocity. There has been a lot of testing done to see the shortest possible barrel length while still maintaining enough velocity to keep the projectile effective down range.

The shortest the military decided to bring the barrel and still have acceptable reliability, accuracy, and velocity was 10.3”. Most people nowadays seem to prefer 11.5”.
Thanks sir

if you gut a 556 short enough and don't run special ammo out of it, you're basically making a 22 mag with the blast and concussion of a hand grenade.

while fun, there are better options. If you go 300BO, you can get respectable ballistics down to about 8" or so.

I think it's not unreasonable to have a rifle ready or nearby while hiking and traveling. But the posters saying you're more likely to have issues on 2 legs than 4 are right.... Plus if you are on this side of the Rockies, you will statistically be more likely to be killed by a cow than a bear.

if you gut a 556 short enough and don't run special ammo out of it, you're basically making a 22 mag with the blast and concussion of a hand grenade.

while fun, there are better options. If you go 300BO, you can get respectable ballistics down to about 8" or so.

I think it's not unreasonable to have a rifle ready or nearby while hiking and traveling. But the posters saying you're more likely to have issues on 2 legs than 4 are right.... Plus if you are on this side of the Rockies, you will statistically be more likely to be killed by a cow than a bear.
I will have a.6.8SPC II SLUNG and a 6 inch long slide 10 mm 1911 strapped like Billy Gene King.I don't have to worry about bugging out hell I am 3O minutes from civilization. All I got to do is hunker down. My house is unique in that it partially underground up to 3 foot. Excellent cover from incoming rounds. In the summer months you can't even see my house anyway.

Back
Top Bottom