• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR build for Hiking / Camping

Ketelec-Sub-2000-9mm.jpg

My buddy has one of these and they are surprisingly utilitarian and functional. If I were stuck with only this lost in SHTF or woods type scenario I would feel comfortable. The extra velocity out of the longer barrel gives the 9mm a little more thump.

Just checked and they got a pistol kit for $460 and lowers are $80. It was 300 AAC though. I’ve seen the same in 5.56 though.

My family and I have really gotten into camping and hiking outdoors. We love the aspect of being away from technology and just enjoying family time. In addition, love that we are seeing places that we would never see from staying at hotels and meeting more people.

Camping also got me thinking about self-defense, especially being out in woods more. I always carry my Glock with me but would love to build an AR specifically for camping. When I say specifically, I mean a lower cost AR that we can carry in a bag while hiking and keep in at the camp site. Also, if we are at locations that have areas to shoot, something me and the little one can spend time shooting. Not trying to build anything fancy

My main questions:

Do I build a 5.56 AR or 9MM AR with glock mags?

If 5.56, what length? 10.5 / 11.5 / 16?

Would love to build with the little one but is palmetto a better option given price? Are there better options for lower cost?

Best site to get parts right now?

I’ve been experimenting trying to find the perfect backpack/camping setup for a while now. Here’s what I’ve experienced…
I tried an 11.5” (plus the A2 birdcage) 5.56 with a Law folder - way too heavy and too long, even when folded. But best firepower & confidence.
I tried a Stern 6” (8” total with the comp) 9mm upper with Glock mag adapter on my Law folder lower - still way too heavy, not quite small enough, but I like the commonality with my sidearm and shoots amazingly.
I tried the MCK (Roni) chassis system with red dot - super lightweight and uses my sidearm. Only concern is potential issue with return to zero taking it in and out of chassis so much. Also I feel a little undergunned.
My next and likely final project is a Sub2000. I think it’ll be best balance of all the things I need in a backpacking/camping gun. Nutnfancy always harps about firepower vs mobility. And how important size & weight will improve (or hinder) your capabilities out in the field.

“Build” out a Sub2000 with all the cool Mcarbo/Midwest accessories and you and your son will still love it.

I assume this is for people defense not large animal defense
That's my concern. If you run into an aggressive bear or mountain lion a 9mm is going to piss it off. That's why I recommended the KelTec SU 16 series fold up rifle. It has enough punch to deal with any type oh sh*t moment you might run into. Nasty people aren't the only beast in the forest that can wreak havock on a nice stroll in the wood. Get as much gun as you can get that will fit the bill size wise. To ignore other dangers in the woods is potentially life threatening and a bit foolish.

That's my concern. If you run into an aggressive bear or mountain lion a 9mm is going to piss it off. That's why I recommended the KelTec SU 16 series fold up rifle. It has enough punch to deal with any type oh sh*t moment you might run into. Nasty people aren't the only beast in the forest that can wreak havock on a nice stroll in the wood. Get as much gun as you can get that will fit the bill size wise. To ignore other dangers in the woods is potentially life threatening and a bit foolish.

I would not rely on 5.56/223 in any rifle in Big bear country, it would be fine probably around the east coast but even then I would want a bit more on a black bear in a defense situation. The west and Alaska, I would make sure it worked as a club as well.

I would not rely on 5.56/223 in any rifle in Big bear country, it would be fine probably around the east coast but even then I would want a bit more on a black bear in a defense situation. The west and Alaska, I would make sure it worked as a club as well.
A steel core round in his skull is game over. The temporary cavity in his skull would turn his brain into oatmeal.

Back
Top Bottom