• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AR build for Hiking / Camping

TacticalMountaineer

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
103   0
Reaction score
My family and I have really gotten into camping and hiking outdoors. We love the aspect of being away from technology and just enjoying family time. In addition, love that we are seeing places that we would never see from staying at hotels and meeting more people.

Camping also got me thinking about self-defense, especially being out in woods more. I always carry my Glock with me but would love to build an AR specifically for camping. When I say specifically, I mean a lower cost AR that we can carry in a bag while hiking and keep in at the camp site. Also, if we are at locations that have areas to shoot, something me and the little one can spend time shooting. Not trying to build anything fancy

My main questions:

Do I build a 5.56 AR or 9MM AR with glock mags?

If 5.56, what length? 10.5 / 11.5 / 16?

Would love to build with the little one but is palmetto a better option given price? Are there better options for lower cost?

Best site to get parts right now?

PSA sells a full kit without the lower for like $5-600. Maybe cheaper for Memorial Day. I’ve seen 10.5”, 13”, 7.5”, etc. got lowers on sail for $100. I’d go with 7.5 and throw a folding brace of it. Have fun, man. Love me some camping!

Your biggest risk by far is having your car broke into while you are out on the trail.

I suggest you open carry your glock on your belly and leave everything else at home so it doesn’t get stolen.

if the Glock isn’t enough then a broke down AR inside a bag that’s inside a pack Probably isn’t going to help. You aren’t going to have time for all that.

Your biggest risk by far is having your car broke into while you are out on the trail.

I suggest you open carry your glock on your belly and leave everything else at home

if the Glock isn’t enough then a broke down AR inside a bag that’s inside a pack Probably isn’t going to help. You aren’t going to have time for all that.
Once you get to your campsite you can unpack the rifle.

I second not leaving it in the car though

I suggest you open carry your glock on your belly and leave everything else at home so it doesn’t get stolen.

Nothing will be left in the car. Looking for something I can carry in a backpack with me while hiking. I should of been more specific on that part.

If I'm in an area (state) where legal, I'd keep a 300 B/O pistol with 300 Omega can in my pack. I do like the Glock mag PCC thing though since I will carry a G45.

Back
Top Bottom