• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Are Simple/cheap pickup trucks gone forever?

Fully loaded used to mean power windows and power door locks with an FM radio and power steering so I guess it depends on what your definition of loaded is.$56,000 for an F150 Lariat is ridiculous.

That's more than my new first 2,200 sq ft house cost in 1974, when we look at the new trucks, it's a little hard to think about getting a brite, shinning, twinkling clean, depreciating item, and then we have a 2500HD, '05, WITH ONLY 68,000 miles on it. Drive it less than 5,000 per year, so naw we will just look but no buying for us.

We have to agree with palmettomoon, prices are simply crazy...

Seems like every time I took the wife's car (or mine) to the dealer for an oil change (or whatever), I found myself walking through the lot looking at pickup trucks. At my age, that can be dangerous as one can be sent into sticker shock rather easily. The sales rep walks up and before he can open his mouth, I say I am just killing time until the car (or truck) is ready. They ask if I want to sell my truck ('96 F-150 XLT - complete with wing window!). I look at them, smile, and say I will be buried in that truck. When I hit 295,000 miles, the truck started having transmission troubles. I took it to my local garage mechanic - dealing with him for 30+ years and said I wanted a crate (Jasper) transmission and engine. He warned me that the $6,000 (for both engine and tranny) would be more than the vehicle is worth (his due diligence) and I said it was cheaper than car payments for X years. So, now I have a 3 year/100,000 mile warranty on a truck I enjoy driving. $40K to $72K for a new one!!! No, they will bury me in this tank.
My stepfather is waiting in the second crate engine to go into his 91 Hardbody 4WD. My folks bought that truck new way back when. That truck is like family to him. And yeah they looked at new Tundras and F150s but not for long. Last year he paid too much for a very used 98 F150 XL with the 4.2 V6 and 5 speed manual. It's a reg cab short bed in Kenmore white. You could put cou ty stickers on the doors and park it wherever you want. So when that Nissan gets back home I'm gonna buy the Ford. I'm already looking at crate engines for it. Might as well be prepared. I love the old XL base model Ford trucks. I dig the vinyl/rubbery floor covering instead of carpet and the roll up windows. Carpet in a truck is retarded and roll up windows never get bad window motors or switches.

It's the bennies paid to retirees that drive the cost of a truck through the roof. I read back in the early 2000's that a typical Ford truck included about $5000 in costs associated with retirement benefits packages paid to former employees.
I would love for every window sticker to show legacy costs of each of the big 3 paying pensions and insurance benefits to UAE people who ain't clocked in or assembled a damn thing in decades . What dumbass(es) ever thought that was sustainable ?

I would love for every window sticker to show legacy costs of each of the big 3 paying pensions and insurance benefits to UAE people who ain't clocked in or assembled a damn thing in decades . What dumbass(es) ever thought that was sustainable ?
I can remember reading a magazine article about job loss due to automation back in the late 1980's. The focus was on the 'hardship' suffered by uneducated union laborers earning $88,000 per year in Detroit by the loss of a few hours each week because the manufacturers were transitioning to robot welders. One worker interviewed said his job was to place four quick spot welds on the undercarriages as they passed over his station. They just didn't know what they were going to do without the extra hours and overtime. A good paying job then in SC was $26,000 per year with a company car. I just couldn't get all teary eyed over their plight.

Question to you older dudes on here:
Has the payment on a new fully loaded truck always been equal to a mortgage payment, or is that a fairly new development?

I had a 97 Ram 1500 sport, 2wd, heavy duty tow package, 5.9 motor, decked out and my payment was $400 p/m for 5yrs. My house payment was about a grand at that time.

Be careful buying Enterprise used cars, or any used fleet vehicle. Enterprise is self insured and has their cars fixed as cheap as possible. On the plus side if the damage is extensive/expensive enough the car goes by by, probably to the auction.

I had a 97 Ram 1500 sport, 2wd, heavy duty tow package, 5.9 motor, decked out and my payment was $400 p/m for 5yrs. My house payment was about a grand at that time.

Be careful buying Enterprise used cars, or any used fleet vehicle. Enterprise is self insured and has their cars fixed as cheap as possible. On the plus side if the damage is extensive/expensive enough the car goes by by, probably to the auction.
Go buy that same truck brand new now. You'll probably be close to a grand on the payment

That's more than my new first 2,200 sq ft house cost in 1974, when we look at the new trucks, it's a little hard to think about getting a brite, shinning, twinkling clean, depreciating item, and then we have a 2500HD, '05, WITH ONLY 68,000 miles on it. Drive it less than 5,000 per year, so naw we will just look but no buying for us.

We have to agree with palmettomoon, prices are simply crazy...

It is the dollar's value thst has changed. Compare prices then and now in terms of ounces of gold or acres of farm land.

Go buy that same truck brand new now. You'll probably be close to a grand on the payment

Easily. And that's just for the Ram 1500. Go buy a new 2500 diesel decked out and watch those payments go to $1500 a month. I don't know how people do it. Whenever I see new fully loaded SUV's or brand new lifted diesel trucks I'm thinking how did that guy afford a truck that costs as much as my house with a higher monthly note.

It would have to be manual trans with a 5 speed.
I’d say $20-k tops.
I’m definitely looking at used trucks with tried and true motor/drivetrains.
Was loving the 21-k miles 06 flatbed for sale here but I’m really looking for a dump bed.

And these dudes shelling out big bucks for these high dollar trucks with a short bed?
What’s up with that?
I once considered buying one of those Isuzu NPR style cab and chassis deals became it was very cheap and pretty clean. At the time i worked at an auto salvage and had access to truck beds. I had already measured out the bed off an older Dodge dually. I know it would habe looked funny as hell but that was gonna be my truck.

Back
Top Bottom