• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Are Simple/cheap pickup trucks gone forever?

So, I would like to play devils advocate a little. I drove a 1998 Chevy 4x4 for 20 years...Bought the truck for 22,500.. with financing..probably paid 28,000...$1400 dollars a year not including maintenance and several major repairs..My new truck I could have walked out at 34,000but I added lift and wheels and tires. I will pay just over 40,000 with financing...that is $2000 a year if I can drive for 20 years..doesn’t feel far off to me.
You really think you’ll get 20 years out of a truck now? Good luck unless it’s a Toyota, but then you wouldn’t have the expense of several major repairs.

You can still get a commercial or work truck model however they are way down on features sometimes don’t even look the same in ford you can get special duty and police duty Ford F1 50s and they’re pretty awesome trucks.
Upgraded brakes rubber floors the only really luxury things they have are power windows and locks surprisingly they came with nice alloy wheels as well.
About $35,000 with the big ecoboost ,4 doors and the Fx4 suspension. 4x4 with AWD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll stick to buying 10-20 year old vehicles with reliable mechanicals and few electronic modules.
I’m a dodge loving freak but I love the reliability of Ford vehicles.
I currently have a 2007 E 250 van with the 4.6L v-8.
I drive it like I stole it and it has never let me down.
I had a Ford Ranger 4cyl 5 Spd I should have kept because it was a reliable gas sipper but my needs exceeded the size of the small ranger.
I truly hope a company comes around and starts building simple trucks for the working man and sells them cheap like hot cakes.
This will force the big car companies to follow suit.
Haha.....would love to see them wage a war on who could build a truck with the greatest dependabilities and least creature comforts.
Of course all I ask is that it has 4wd capabilities, a five speed manual transmission, ABS brakes, heat and two cup holders for me and a helper.

They take those electronics and stick them.
I have a 2008 Honda Odyssey that has been an awesome vehicle despite some oil leaks and every time I’m at the dealer for whatever reason the salesman try to sell me a new model.
The last time I looked at one I sat in the car with the salesman, he told me to put it in gear but instead of the manual shift lever it had an electronic shifter.
I tapped the button back into park and said “No friggin way am I EVER buying a vehicle with an electronic shifter.”
He asked why and I told him “I’m a mechanic and I can’t tell you how many customers I get that get stranded when these stupid $800$1200 shifter modules fizzle out because they’re bolted to the side of the transmission.”
I told him I do t have enough time to tell you how much over engineered planned obsolescence is stuffed into these vehicles.
But a salesman’s remedy for everything is simply buy a new car and continue your debt when it breaks.

I hear ya. I buy em used after some jackwagon that would have been just as well served driving a Honda decides it is time for an upgrade. Had an interesting conversation with a recent ex employee. He wanted me to buy his truck from him, his one truck was worth more than my entire company fleet and families cars to boot. I had 9 serviceable trucks for the value of his one. I make money off mine and he is losing money on his.

You can still get a commercial or work truck model however they are way down on features sometimes don’t even look the same in ford you can get special duty and police duty Ford F1 50s and they’re pretty awesome trucks.
Upgraded brakes rubber floors the only really luxury things they have are power windows and locks surprisingly they came with nice alloy wheels as well.
About $35,000 with the big ecoboost ,4 doors and the Fx4 suspension. 4x4 with AWD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can the general public buy these with no restrictions?

Just buy a good example used truck that is what you want and build it.
Yep! Just picked up an 07 f150 2 dr xlt stepside.Hidden in an old timers garage in excellent condition with 70k miles ,talked him down to $8.500. Installed flowmaster exhaust,air box and a stage 3 programmer for the 4.6 for $500. $9k total and it looks showroom and haulz azzz!

My ex BIL works at the Ford Truck plant in Ky. I believe he makes at least $35hr. I think he has 25yrs with them. I asked not long ago what he did and his reply was, “I just drive the finished truck off the end of the line and park it”. That’s the reason the trucks are $70k+.
It's the bennies paid to retirees that drive the cost of a truck through the roof. I read back in the early 2000's that a typical Ford truck included about $5000 in costs associated with retirement benefits packages paid to former employees.

Back
Top Bottom