• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Are we united? doesn't seem so

For me personally I refuse to do business with anyone attempting to screw over other members. Even when the market settles down in a week or so I'll look elsewhere but that's just me.

I took my retirement when I was young with the notion that I would work till I die if necessary. I love to surf and dive. In the early 70's I bought a 40' wood Sailboat, restored it, prepared it and took off. I spent 7-8 months just going down the coast of Mexico, anchoring in places where I could surf and dive. At that time, the Power Boaters held the Sail Boaters in contempt, elites so to speak. One day I ran into a nice power yacht, anchored in a small un-inhabited bay on the coast of Baja. Not having a refrigerator, I went over with a bottle of JD#7, offered to share, and asked if he has some ice. He sent me away paddling with some less than cordial words something like you "sail boaters are always mooching". I spent a day or two anchored there and went about my business. One afternoon, he rowed over to me and I learned that he was not able to use his engine because his water pump had failed. I asked what kind it was? A jabsco xxx (cant' remember exact model). So happens I had two Jabsco Pump Impeller/repair kits for just that pump. He asked what I would sell one for. I told him $25. He had a fit and told me I was "gouging" him since the kit only cost about $6 in San Diego. Replying that this was not San Diego, but a small cove 1000 miles to the south, with the nearest paved road 150 miles away by foot, that this was a reasonable price considering the trouble I would have ordering, paying, and bribing a local post office clerk for a replacement. I was prepared, and He was not. I did not leave him stranded, but could have.

I see similarities in the current panic. Sellers of certain rifles, Ammo, etc. are being castigated because they prepared in advance, and are selling items for which they have no idea what it might take to replace in the future. No one is being forced to buy. Even without the current panic, the USD will be reduced to zero value, EBT cards will be canceled, and once the festivities begin, there will be no more. Dont blame the sellers.

^^^Karma^^^

Good example moosensquirrel. Reminds me of Katrina. People were warned a week in advance that a huge storm was coming. They ignored the warning signs and when it happened, they stood around whining about no one was there to take care of them. Others were prepared in advance and fared much better.

Apparently brotherhood means selling something to you at a price you think is fair.

no...brotherhood means not trying to screw you on a price.

what is fair?

lets say...i bought 10 lbs of bird seed on monday for 8 dollars. on tuesday there is a supposed bird seed shortage. on wednesday you being a bird wants to eat said bird seed. on thursday i list the bird seed for sale for 1000 dollars. are you still hungry bird?

i just couldnt live with myself...just saying.

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H. L. Mencken

Back
Top Bottom