• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Are we united? doesn't seem so

Shame on us for even wanting to screw over a fellow member for the mighty dollar.

I know it seems ugly, but that is the same thing folks were saying when full auto started to break the $1000 mark, now look at it.
It has been said before, and I am sure we'll all hear it again, but market forces rule...demand is high and supply is comparatively low.
That is a recipe for one thing and one thing only...higher prices.

That said, if anybody wants to sell me their bone stock DPMS for the $600 they bought it for, I'll buy it now.

Y'all crack me up. Capitalism means that something is worth what someone will pay for it - end of story. Brotherhood? What a load of BS. Nobody is talking about the permanent "piranhas" that live on this site (and all others). You know, the folks that immediately lowball someone for half of what a gun is worth - in cash (they always emphasize that). They're hoping for 1 of 2 things:

1. the person doesn't know what their item is worth
2. the person might be down on their luck and need quick cash

Whenever I get one of these, I always look at their profile and MANY of them are long time members with lots of posts. Why don't we have a public outcry against these folks? I've done a lot of transactions here and on GON (in the old days) and I never tried to take advantage of anyone. I price/value my stuff according to what the market demand is at the time. Yeah, I moved an AR yesterday for what I felt was a fair deal considering the market. I actually traded it locally to a fella I know and he is very happy with the deal we made. For those of y'all that think market pricing is evil - post up your ARs and PMags at last month's prices and practice what you preach...

Y'all crack me up. Capitalism means that something is worth what someone will pay for it - end of story. Brotherhood? What a load of BS. Nobody is talking about the permanent "piranhas" that live on this site (and all others). You know, the folks that immediately lowball someone for half of what a gun is worth - in cash (they always emphasize that). They're hoping for 1 of 2 things:

1. the person doesn't know what their item is worth
2. the person might be down on their luck and need quick cash

Whenever I get one of these, I always look at their profile and MANY of them are long time members with lots of posts. Why don't we have a public outcry against these folks? I've done a lot of transactions here and on GON (in the old days) and I never tried to take advantage of anyone. I price/value my stuff according to what the market demand is at the time. Yeah, I moved an AR yesterday for what I felt was a fair deal considering the market. I actually traded it locally to a fella I know and he is very happy with the deal we made. For those of y'all that think market pricing is evil - post up your ARs and PMags at last month's prices and practice what you preach...

Someone doesn't get it

I don't see it as "greed," people don't want to accept that guns are no different than anything else, the prices & values are not constant, they rise and fall with changes in supply and demand like everything else. They also aren't a commodity, they are a luxury item in so much as you do not need one to survive, can someone really be "gouged" for a luxury item?

If you bought an ounce of gold a couple years ago and went to sell it now, would you sell it for what you paid for it? Would selling it for current market value make you greedy? Would you be screwing over the person you sell it to?

+1 compadre' That's how it works. I'm happy to have a place to purchase hard to come buy items. I have no problem paying a premium if I decide it's worth it. Hell, it's only cash, we aren't trading in our first born.

Trust me, I get it. Been doing this a while and I know that markets change. Nobody is forcing folks to pay more than what they're willing to pay...

Right now the market is based on fear and assumption. Once there is no gun ban, the idiots buying 100s of PMags and paying top dollar for them are going to feel foolish.

Right now the market is based on fear and assumption. Once there is no gun ban, the idiots buying 100s of PMags and paying top dollar for them are going to feel foolish.

Yes they will. After folks payed double (or more) for their ARs after the election in 08, many people lost loads of money selling them - nature of the beast. Nobody chooses to buy high and sell low, it's called speculation - and sometimes you win and sometimes you lose...

Markets are always based off of fear and assumption. The Market Makers count on it. It's just a matter of whether you want to go full-retard and play or sit back and :pop2:

I took my retirement when I was young with the notion that I would work till I die if necessary. I love to surf and dive. In the early 70's I bought a 40' wood Sailboat, restored it, prepared it and took off. I spent 7-8 months just going down the coast of Mexico, anchoring in places where I could surf and dive. At that time, the Power Boaters held the Sail Boaters in contempt, elites so to speak. One day I ran into a nice power yacht, anchored in a small un-inhabited bay on the coast of Baja. Not having a refrigerator, I went over with a bottle of JD#7, offered to share, and asked if he has some ice. He sent me away paddling with some less than cordial words something like you "sail boaters are always mooching". I spent a day or two anchored there and went about my business. One afternoon, he rowed over to me and I learned that he was not able to use his engine because his water pump had failed. I asked what kind it was? A jabsco xxx (cant' remember exact model). So happens I had two Jabsco Pump Impeller/repair kits for just that pump. He asked what I would sell one for. I told him $25. He had a fit and told me I was "gouging" him since the kit only cost about $6 in San Diego. Replying that this was not San Diego, but a small cove 1000 miles to the south, with the nearest paved road 150 miles away by foot, that this was a reasonable price considering the trouble I would have ordering, paying, and bribing a local post office clerk for a replacement. I was prepared, and He was not. I did not leave him stranded, but could have.

I see similarities in the current panic. Sellers of certain rifles, Ammo, etc. are being castigated because they prepared in advance, and are selling items for which they have no idea what it might take to replace in the future. No one is being forced to buy. Even without the current panic, the USD will be reduced to zero value, EBT cards will be canceled, and once the festivities begin, there will be no more. Dont blame the sellers.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom