• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Athlon vs. vortex?

Mattkh

Default rank <200 posts
Tracker
8   0
Reaction score
When Athlon first hit the market I didn't really give them too much attention because of the low price point. I figured a scope that offered the same features as a vortex for half the price must be cutting corners. But now that I'm reading more reviews they seem to be a pretty good buy. I'm looking at the Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50 ffp in moa. Anyone have personal experience with Athlon? How do they compare to the vortex pst? Are they reliable enough for pushing to 1000 yards? Are they durable enough for hunting use or is this strictly a range optic? Any input is greatly appreciated. I trust opinions from ODT members more than Amazon reviewers.

They don't compare. The Athlon is priced budget because they are built budget. They use lots of nylon internals, including the erector tube. They may be a fine range optic, but they will not be near as durable and with use, I would assume that adjustments would become less accurate down the road due to the budget construction. You get what you pay for in scopes.

Now, do I have actual experience? Nope, and that's due to the construction.

They don't compare. The Athlon is priced budget because they are built budget. They use lots of nylon internals, including the erector tube. They may be a fine range optic, but they will not be near as durable and with use, I would assume that adjustments would become less accurate down the road due to the budget construction. You get what you pay for in scopes.

Now, do I have actual experience? Nope, and that's due to the construction.
I've learned in the past not to try and cut corners when it comes to optics. I tend to not trust anything for "budget scopes" other than vortex which is why, initially, I didn't pay attention to Athlon. But, with that said, they do have pretty good reviews and a following of people who swear by them on the internet so I thought it was worth looking into and seeing if anyone had first hand experience with them.

Lots of folks like the Athlon line. Similar lines at similar price points seem to compete well. I know of one pst that has been sent back to vortex 3 times and it needs to go back for a 4th. Any product can be a lemon. Quality of scopes made overseas is going to be pretty similar. Buy the reticle, turrets or dimensions you prefer.

I have seen Plenty of PSTs fail, The glass on the athlon IMO is definitely better than the Older PSTs. Vortex went thru the same ordeal when they first hit the Market and all you here is "How Good their Customer Service is." That's because TOO many people had to sent their scopes back to get fixed. Me included. I'm not keen on the Argos model because it does seem a little on the "cheap" side but I did just recently buy a Midas to do a review on this weekend. The Midas line looks like it could be a good entry level optic to long range shooting.

Back
Top Bottom