• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Atlanta homeowner charged with murder after allegedly shooting stranger found sleeping inside home

Good thing your "guess" is worthless in the situation huh? People dont usually shoot people who are running away, Well unless they're cops, Then they know they'll never see any accountability so they do, But homeowners dont shoot people that say "Sorry man, it was cold and I was just looking for somewhere to sleep" they do shoot people that they find in their homes who wake up and threaten them. Just bc the guy ran after being shot/shot at doesn't make him some innocent victim. If you're homeless or need somewhere to get out of the cold you don't break into someone's house! Best thing to do, Wait until some facts are found before judging over your "guess". None of us know anything bc we weren't standing there, So pretty reasonable to not pass judgement on the ordeal. Hate that someone lost their life, Hope the homeowner doesn't lose his to prison over someone breaking into his home. Police can shoot a kid in a garage over a stolen cell phone, Bc he broke into a home during his attempt to escape, So how is this not the same amount of danger(More honestly)? Something to think on there.....

You rip on people for speculation all while this keyboard diarrhea you left for everyone is full of it…..

Truthfully if someone breaks into your house it shouldn't really matter what transpires if you catch them. The best way to stop crime is to kill criminals.

You rip on people for speculation all while this keyboard diarrhea you left for everyone is full of it…..
I think you missed the point. It was that speculation(even my own) is subjective and doesn't change truth. It's our bias that forms our opinions. Though maybe it's my fault for not making that clear enough. The facts as I see them are this: If someone breaks into your home, You have the right to defend yourself, And no one here(including me) was there to see what happened or if the guy was in reasonable fear of harm. Another fact: Self defense situations are absolutely being targeted for prosecution no matter if the facts support it being blatant self defense. Maybe you like that sort of thing, But I don't.

Following the recent change in GA law (HB 479) that makes citizen's arrests illegal, it was inevitable that we were likely to see more "shoot, shovel and shut up" and other kinds of escalation in incidents.

You need to use your own discretion. A drunk kid can kill you just as fast as a hardened criminal. We need to take our country back and making exceptions is BS.
What does not killing someone for simply stumbling into your home drunk have to do with taking our country back? LOL!

What if they come into your yard or talk to your wife? How about stealing your mail?

Or maybe you decide to be a moral human being and avoid killing someone that is not a clear threat to you or a third person.

I think you missed the point. It was that speculation(even my own) is subjective and doesn't change truth. It's our bias that forms our opinions. Though maybe it's my fault for not making that clear enough. The facts as I see them are this: If someone breaks into your home, You have the right to defend yourself, And no one here(including me) was there to see what happened or if the guy was in reasonable fear of harm. Another fact: Self defense situations are absolutely being targeted for prosecution no matter if the facts support it being blatant self defense. Maybe you like that sort of thing, But I don't.
You have the Right to defend yourself no matter where you are, but just because someone is in your home does not mean they are a threat to you.

As for legitimate self defense cases being targeted for prosecution. Can you list a few so we can see what you're talking about?

You have the Right to defend yourself no matter where you are, but just because someone is in your home does not mean they are a threat to you.

As for legitimate self defense cases being targeted for prosecution. Can you list a few so we can see what you're talking about?
Make zero mistake, I'm not talking about people who aren't a threat, Thought that was clear from my statement on legitimate self defense. I don't support shooting someone for anything, Even crimes that dont directly threaten the life of another. "Reasonable fear" is just that reasonable fear that someone might mean you harm. If I find someone in my house I'm not going to "put 2 in em" just for being in my house, No reasonable person would! If you wake them and ask "What are you doing in my house?" they'll respond in 1 of 2 ways: Fight! They threaten you or attack you. Or Flight, They try and deescalate a tense situation by saying "sorry, I came in bc (fill blank with a sympathetic reason)". I don't know which took place here, But I don't like to see people immediately blame the guy who a crime was committed against when the facts are a bit in his favor for a justifiable self defense situation. IF he shot a guy in the back while he was trying to run away then yes, He should be charged IF they guy didn't threaten his life, Then run once he was being shot at. Nuances are everything in the situation, So it's not good to judge someone innocent or guilty on day 1 of media reports was my point. Maybe that was clear but hopefully it now is. As for the prosecutions of self defense, If you don't know of any in the past few years then you aren't really paying attention. A veteran who owned a bar in upper midwest(been a bit now so unsure if it was Wisconsin, Michigan, etc.) I think it was Wisconsin, But when people are rioting destroying property and his dad confronts the rioters about said destruction of their property he was beaten by a group of them. The veteran son steps in to stop his dad from being beaten further and a group attacks him. When his gun comes out they back away except the one who started choking him from behind. He shots the guy who was choking him, And at first their were no charges filed by the DA. But when theirs outcry from people bc the guy who was shot's race, Then he is charged for what is 100% self defense. The guy who served his country honorably is now targeted for defending himself and his geriatric father, So he takes his own life bc horribly unfair media coverage of the situation. Surely you saw the Rittenhouse trial, Which was clear cut self defense yet he was imprisoned and had his life upended completely. The lady in NY right now who's being charged for a rioting group attacking her car which her and her daughter were in. When she then drives through some of them in reasonable fear of harm(especially considering the people who were shot by a similar group in their car, The many dragged from their cars and beaten, etc right before her own ordeal all these being reported on by media) she is charged after nonsense ensues. They eventually offer her 6 hours com service if she'll but take a guilty plea. She stood strong and said "No, I did nothing wrong!". She's now facing trial, And possibly 7yrs in prison bc she didn't let them just do whatever they wanted to her and her daughter. And those are just a few examples. A lot more have happened. The couple who had guns out when a riot rolled through their neighborhood(After riots destroying billions of dollars worth property as well as killing 20+ people at that point) they were targeted for prosecution for just waving guns around at rioters and warning them to stay away from their property. When the wife's gun was found to have no firing pin in it the analyst who was investigating for the prosecution was told to put it back together with one in it! So yeah, Plenty of malicious prosecution of self defense going on lately. Sorry about the lengthy response.

You need to use your own discretion. A drunk kid can kill you just as fast as a hardened criminal. We need to take our country back and making exceptions is BS.
I believe and support a persons right to protect themselves and others from harm, even to protect their property, but I hope I'm never called to serve on a jury to judge someone who killed another human just for trespassing.

Back
Top Bottom