• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

ATTN Competition pistol shooters

For the OP, these are the kind of things you do not want to practice. How you grip a gun is of extreme importance to shooting accurately and fast. Choking the gun with a death grip is neither fast or accurate. The trigger hand needs to be somewhat relaxed with the grip hand somewhat firm. I used to go for about a 60-40 / 70-30%. Always made a measurable difference in my split times. Again I suggest getting help from an experienced competition shooter.

I don't shoot competitively besides bowling pin matches but I have several friends who are A class, Master and Grandmaster in USPSA and they all say grip the piss out of the pistol. Not trying to start a debate, but it has for sure helped me. If I remembered to grip my pistol hard, my bowling pin times were usually about 1 second faster(4 seconds for 5 pins)

I don't shoot competitively besides bowling pin matches but I have several friends who are A class, Master and Grandmaster in USPSA and they all say grip the piss out of the pistol. Not trying to start a debate, but it has for sure helped me. If I remembered to grip my pistol hard, my bowling pin times were usually about 1 second faster(4 seconds for 5 pins)

Agreed, grip strength helps, period. I don't concern myself much with the actual percentages but I do shoot better with more pressure on the support hand. I bought the Captains of Crush grippers just to improve my shooting. I don't find that it helps with long, slow accurate shots, but when you are talking about ripping off double and triple taps and being able to hold the gun on target...it absolutely helps. I now have 4 of the grippers. The goal is to be able to close a gripper representative of your body weight. It took me about a month to get there and admittedly, I was already pretty close when I began. I believe that grip strength helps tremendously all the way up until the point that you begin to shake. The stronger your hand is, the more pressure you can apply without tension. Use grippers, use lasers, dry practice and get a PACT timer.

View attachment 1018863 View attachment 1018864 View attachment 1018865

Thanks for backing me up! I didn't want to start an Internet war either.

But it's proven the more firm you grip the pistol the faster and more accurate your follow ups are. It's just muscle mechanics and laws of physics, it's not science or anything...:rolleyes: (insert sarcasm). Some just don't understand.

I'm not casting aspersions, but if you truly are serious then maybe you should start here. If you want to shoot better and lean what to, and not do it is best to pay someone who has won many consecutive national championships. YES I'M SPEAKING OF THE UNICORN. Ben Stoeger has a class scheduled in Augusta GA in March. Be there and become one with the bullet. Link to class schedule below.

http://benstoeger.com/index.php/classes

I'm not casting aspersions, but if you truly are serious then maybe you should start here. If you want to shoot better and lean what to, and not do it is best to pay someone who has won many consecutive national championships. YES I'M SPEAKING OF THE UNICORN. Ben Stoeger has a class scheduled in Augusta GA in March. Be there and become one with the bullet. Link to class schedule below.

http://benstoeger.com/index.php/classes

Price? I couldn't find one. Or is it a "If you have to ask" kinda thing?

Thanks for backing me up! I didn't want to start an Internet war either.

But it's proven the more firm you grip the pistol the faster and more accurate your follow ups are. It's just muscle mechanics and laws of physics, it's not science or anything...:rolleyes: (insert sarcasm). Some just don't understand.

Practice however you want, I AM a USPSA master class open division shooter. I know many and have shot with and or RO'd the best in the world and I can assure you their advice regarding grip is not "grip the piss out of it". If that's what you took away from someone then you're not paying attention and your progression will suffer. Search youtube, Shannon Smith, GM gives a great tutorial on how to grip a gun but never once does he say grip the piss out of it. No internet war here, proceed as you wish.

Reactions: RSB
Price? I couldn't find one. Or is it a "If you have to ask" kinda thing?

Practice however you want, I AM a USPSA master class open division shooter. I know many and have shot with and or RO'd the best in the world and I can assure you their advice regarding grip is not "grip the piss out of it". If that's what you took away from someone then you're not paying attention and your progression will suffer. Search youtube, Shannon Smith, GM gives a great tutorial on how to grip a gun but never once does he say grip the piss out of it. No internet war here, proceed as you wish.
One of the guys has taken a Ben Stoeger class and his exact words when we got back from the class was to "grip the piss out of it". The guy who used to run our pin shoot was a Grand master and the first bit of advice he ever gave me was grip the crap out of the pistol with my weak hand. Everyone has a different opinion and not everything will work the same for other people. I just know it works for me

One of the guys has taken a Ben Stoeger class and his exact words when we got back from the class was to "grip the piss out of it". The guy who used to run our pin shoot was a Grand master and the first bit of advice he ever gave me was grip the crap out of the pistol with my weak hand. Everyone has a different opinion and not everything will work the same for other people. I just know it works for me

Wow, we went from the advice "grip the piss out of it" to grip the piss out of it with the WEAK hand. Which is not bad advice at all BECAUSE it allows the trigger hand to relax somewhat and manipulate the trigger. All of which was my original point, if someone tells you to grip the piss out of the gun it's NOT good advice and therefore I suggested the OP seek advice from an experienced shooter. If you think I'm picky regarding the details it's because to improve shooting skills it requires attention to every detail. Best of luck

Back
Top Bottom