• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Automatics vs. Semi-Automatics

SMLEshooter

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
92   0
Reaction score
Does anybody remember what happened when automatic weapons were relegated to the status of having to be registered to be owned? Were you required to come forward and register any existing automatics you had at the time? Or were they only accounted for when they were sold or transferred to somebody else?

If I understand it correctly, under the original 1934 act, you were not required to register any that were owned at the time. However, in 1968 the act was revised and I can't seem to find a straight answer to my question...

I'm curious what your thoughts are about what would happen if a similar scheme was implemented for semi-automatics...

And what is to stop the current administration from just revising the current regulations regarding automatics and semi-automatics?

Additionally, if I understand history correctly, during the revolutionary war, weren't the Americans, for the most part, on a similar footing with the British in regards to the types of weapons used? Each of the sides were using muskets, so no one had an advantage over the other in that regard...Now flash forward 200 years and the general citizens of the nation have been limited through regulations to inferior weapons when compared to troops or LE that would be used to control the population?? How is that not a subversion of the original intent of the 2nd amendment?

One more thought, after reading through information on previous court cases involving firearm regulation, I found that in 1939, the US Government actually argued before the Supreme Court that the Second Amendment protects only the ownership of military-type weapons appropriate for use in an organized militia...(United States v. Miller)

Where are we going???

It is my understanding that there was an amnesty period for registering an automatic weapon when the 1934 law was passed. If a full auto weapon was not registered during that time it became illegal. You had to pay the $200 tax to register even back then. The thing that changed in 1968 was that no new automatic weapons could be produced and sold to non military/police after that law. That is the reason you can not buy a full auto weapon that was manufactured after 1968, the reason for a finite number of auto weapons that are transferable.

It is my understanding that there was an amnesty period for registering an automatic weapon when the 1934 law was passed. If a full auto weapon was not registered during that time it became illegal. You had to pay the $200 tax to register even back then. The thing that changed in 1968 was that no new automatic weapons could be produced and sold to non military/police after that law. That is the reason you can not buy a full auto weapon that was manufactured after 1968, the reason for a finite number of auto weapons that are transferable.
Not 1968, was 1986

Additionally, if I understand history correctly, during the revolutionary war, weren't the Americans, for the most part, on a similar footing with the British in regards to the types of weapons used? Each of the sides were using muskets, so no one had an advantage over the other in that regard...Now flash forward 200 years and the general citizens of the nation have been limited through regulations to inferior weapons when compared to troops or LE that would be used to control the population?? How is that not a subversion of the original intent of the 2nd amendment?

Can you say "Red Dawn" ? Ever thought that this is why the U.S. is a super power in the world?

As I see more threads about this concerning issue, I think to myself, what can we actually do? Besides write. What can we do as responsible law abiding citizens to prevent anything as stupid as a weapons ban or restrictions? Why is it neglected that it wont work, will disarm law abiding gun owners and not the criminal? Why is it that other countries with weapon bans have murder rates that double or triple the US? Why is this all not looked at and examined properly, responsibly, statistically and like ADULTS.

I understand what happened a few days ago is extremely tragic, my heart is broken. I am a father of 2. I can't even think of how it feels. We can't be blamed for every unstable, unhealthy, kid/teen that does this. Its the parents fault, the kids fault but not the firearm.

People will kill each other with or without guns. I would hate to try the statistic on it if all weapons are gun, wait. It wouldnt change anything because we dont kill people. Criminals do.

rant/

As I see more threads about this concerning issue, I think to myself, what can we actually do?/

they dont have room for 100 MILLION more criminals, one option would be to disobey en mass... just saying they cant put all gun owners in jail seeing that about 1/3 of the population live in house with a gun. If we assume that some percentage wont want to fight, then you have some number less than 100M.

If 10M people (10%) marched on DC in a peaceful way to protest anti-gun legislation, it might make a difference. Roadtrip anyone?

Back
Top Bottom