• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best 1-4 scope and mount under $450.

But even at 1x, the 6s and 8s never have the eye box... The position forgiveness... Of the 4x.

Everything is a trade-off. You always have to give up something to get something. Personally, I’ve never had any issues with eye box on any scope I’ve ever owned that I mounted to fit me.

I’ve got plenty of rounds through several of the Razor Gen2 1-8x’s, as well as a few of the Leupold Mk8 1.1-8x. In every case but 1 they were mounted on someone else’s rifle. Didn’t have an issue with the eye box on any of them.

Attachments

• IMG_20170916_094428891.jpg
    IMG_20170916_094428891.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 15
Thanks everyone. I'm leaning towards the SWFA SS 1-4 in a SSALT mount for only $420. Really digging the reticule in that one.

On the other hand, I try to make my big purchases American and one if the reasons I've always bought Leupold. Also like their weight savings over the SWFA and Strike Eagles.

On the other hand, I try to make my big purchases American and one if the reasons I've always bought Leupold. Also like their weight savings over the SWFA and Strike Eagles.
So, I owned the Leupold VX-Hog 1.5-4x before my SWFA. It's definitely lighter weight, but you sacrifice the true 1x on the low end. And I've found I really like the ability to effectively go down to no magnification, even if it means a heavier scope.

But I completely support your buy American philosophy. And Leupold is quality stuff, just you may have to compromise somewhere at this price point.

Thanks everyone. I'm leaning towards the SWFA SS 1-4 in a SSALT mount for only $420. Really digging the reticule in that one.

That's a good choice-- that's one that I know has a tight eye box in the 1-6X flavor. Not nearly as forgiving as the 1-4X.

So I find myself in a conundrum. Found the VX2 1-4x20 Leupold on Amazon for only $218 and the Leupold IMS mount for only $83. $325ish after taxes vs $450 for the SWFA and SSALT mount. I'm torn.

Now I know the SWFA is closer to true 1 power but I'm not sure how much this matters to me as I can't adjust myself to both eyes open (seems my left eye is dominant but I'm right handed so...). If I'm closing my left eye anyway, does it really matter that much?

Finally, the SWFA has the cool reticle but VX2s have notoriously good glass and light transmission in their price range. I've had them, I trust them. I have no experience with the other. Also, I like the Leupy mount better than the (apparently) Chinese made SSALT mount.

Plus, $125 goes a long ways toward quality back up irons or ammo. What y'all think?

I have more problems with Leupold’s “Tactical” optics in my classes than I do with all other companies combined. I won’t use a Leupold on any platform that will see hard use.

Optics planet has a Vortex Strike Fire 1-8 for sale for the high 449 right now. You get a choice of the scope with a P.E.P.R mount or the illuminated scope for the same price. If you go illuminated on you get a both eyes open red dot and an 8 power scope all in one. That'a a great combo, a red dot and high magnification. The best of both worlds. This is what I am going with on my next 6.8 build whick looks like it's going to be soon since nothing on the Black Friday sales is making my naughty bits tingle.

Back
Top Bottom