• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best affordable 2 way radios less than $100

I've used Baofeng for various reasons and they're solid. Add an upgraded antennae and extra capacity battery, you're good to go. Also, you can connect to repeaters so the range is multiplied. There's various videos on youtube.

The range of the Baofeng BF-F8HP can go as far as 20-25 miles; depending upon obstacles and weather.

I've got 4, great reliable radios.

I like the Baofengs because they have a great range and features that others don't have that you COULD use if you wanted too. Plus the ability to transmit UHF/VHF gives the User more power if shtf.

If you need something simpler and encrypted, check out:

Motorola Talkabout T465 (max 35 miles)​

Retevis RT27 (max 8 mile range)

Midland 50 (max 30 mile range)

NOTE:

Most walkie talkies come with a Continuous Tone Coded Squelch System (CTCSS) or CDCSS (Continuous Digital Coded Squelch System). This allows you to set up privacy codes that will keep other people out of your selected channel. As long as the radios you're using both have the correct privacy code and frequency, they'll work.

You can have multiple frequencies with different privacy codes. Such as a primary and a backup, to keep secure lines.

Read the fine print....only the AM version is for the USA, FM is for other countries.

I went with Radioddity GM-30. Great reviews and great price. They were sold out on Amazon, but I got them from the manufacturer directly for even cheaper. They even had/have coupon codes so I got them for 10-15% off + fast shipping. They were about $40 each. Got 4 extra whip antennas for extra long range. Got two 12" and two 18". Got a pair of programing cables as well.

This year I decided that instead of the 50-70K I drop on guns/transferable machineguns a year, I was going to invest in gear. I have million+ in guns, dozens of acres/cabin grandfathered in to the middle of the Cohutta. (Gilmer) But weak (~10K) in gear. Planning for about 30K in gear and 30K in guns/1 transferable mg for 2022, rather than all the money going to guns. Like more SHTF gear. So that includes so far over the past month Several Crye outfits, Crye Plate carrier, Level 3+ armor, these radios, several boots, knives, mags, ammo, chest rigs, holsters, extra barrels, extra aimpoints, an extra elcan, Avon F70 Ballistic helmet, some miscellaneous title1 guns etc. Most stuff came in over the past two weeks, but the big ticket item (14k) gear wise are white phosper AN/PVS-31A night vision goggles. With all that said, the radios I chose were the Radioddity GM-30.

I've never had a radio before, so I really don't don't know anything about them. I have yet to even turn one on let alone program it. Ill fiddle with them once I get some extra time. There are settings on these GM-30s that you can be in FCC license req mode and non-fcc license mode. Low and High voltage. I like that flexibility.

Here is a very good & informative video on the GM-30

20220129_141852.jpg
20220225_070236.jpg
20220225_070347.jpg

I've used Baofeng for various reasons and they're solid. Add an upgraded antennae and extra capacity battery, you're good to go. Also, you can connect to repeaters so the range is multiplied. There's various videos on youtube.

The range of the Baofeng BF-F8HP can go as far as 20-25 miles; depending upon obstacles and weather.

I couldn't find anyone that could figure out how to program the Boafeng.

I couldn't find anyone that could figure out how to program the Boafeng.

They're not difficult for someone who's worked with radios before. But if you're new to it, it could be difficult even with a cable and software. I have several setup for scanning, etc.. They're very nice little radios; but all of the cheap "chinese" radio require considerably more knowledge than a bubble pack radio is going to need.

If you're looking for something simple, reliable and easy to program, the Motorola T400 and T600 series are reliable and somewhat simple. I'd also say they're a little bit less delicate than a Baofeng or similar. They also take either a reachable battery pack or standard AA without any modification (yes you can do that with a Baofeng but I did not find the adapter packs reliable); giving more options when it comes to power. Microcenter usually has them in stock at a fair price if you want to go look at them, they come in several colors and kits depending on what you want to do with them. Go for the "35 mile" versions, they'll give you the best range but don't expect 35 miles.

Back
Top Bottom