• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Best reloading equipment.

I have a friend that uses the ap progressive and loves it. I considered one but I dig the single stage stuff because it keeps me busy during the time my wife would usually have me doing stuff around the house

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Haha I hear ya. I find the key is to disappear to the reloading room before there's time to dish out "house projects". That or, "I just need to check something really quick". Hah

Haven't had good luck with the dies or the collet bullet puller (Hornady). Not a fan. For the price, you should get decent quality. I use mostly RCBS dies, have some Lyman and more than a few Lee sets. Even old Pacific dies and Herters.

Haven't had good luck with the dies or the collet bullet puller (Hornady). Not a fan. For the price, you should get decent quality. I use mostly RCBS dies, have some Lyman and more than a few Lee sets. Even old Pacific dies and Herters.

Right on. I only have their progressive press, and their bullet puller. The puller beats having to use the inertia puller haha. I haven't used any of their other dies, as RCBS and LEE have served me well so far

I have a Dillon 550B progressive and a Rockchucker single stage. I use the Rockchucker to deprime brass. Using stage 1 of the progressive gets spent primer crud in the workings and I like to keep my reloading clean. I use the single stage to size rifle brass but use the progressive in normal order to size pistol brass.

I consider it important with either to actually visualize the powder in the brass before installing the bullet.

I agree, I think a squib round is more dangerous that and over-charge load.

Also a LOT more common!
when people see a weapon blown up they immediately assume its an over charge when actually its a barrel blockage from a squib.
I have only seen 1 over charge in over 40 years of reloading/shooting that caused a weapons destruction, unfortunately I have seen quite a few squibs.
both factory new, commercial reload and home grown reload.

I've been using my Dillon 650 for many years. Years ago when I was younger I sold all of my Dillon reloading equipment. I wasn't shooting as much, it was taking up space, ect.... Yep, a few years later I started shooting more and purchased another Dillon 650 with all the accessories. I can't remember the last time I shot factory loaded ammo out of my pistols... I reload what I need.

Dillon will last a lifetime. There No BS warranty is .... no BS. There service is very good.

Read the manuals, continue learning, and reload for a lifetime....

Have fun!

Everyone has their own opinions, like and dislikes about reloading equipment.
I have a little of all makes. Ultimately it comes down to what you can afford.
I load for precision not quantity so I like a nice single stage press like the RCBS Rock Chucker.
Its great for smaller cartridges up to the 300 Win mag but its to short to comfortably load the 338 Lapua or the 408 Cheytac.
I have used an Ohaus 1010 scale for years and then I bought a Lyman Digital Scale/measure and I still weigh every charge on the old Ohaus. Old habbits are hard to overcome.
I prefer RCBS sizing dies but I like Hornady seating dies. I really like Redding dies but my credit card doesn't
I have a Dillon 650 But its still in the box, 5 years now but a good friend has the Hornady AP and he loves it.
About the only equipment I don't own is Lee except for their bullet molds.
Hang out at the gun store and see what everyone else is buying and ask questions.
I personally would talk to anyone about shooting stuff. Even Big Foot.

I picked up the RCBS Master Supreme Kit. I'm going to set it up to load 300blk. I'll probably add some others later.

My question now is. What else might I want santa to bring me to get me going. I know I need 300blk dies. I'm thinking a brass tumbler and maybe a digital scale? I'm I getting ahead of myself. Any other accessories you would suggest?

Back
Top Bottom