• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Biggest and Most Common Blunders Made by Preppers

I think everyone is overestimating the capabilties of an average person. The overwhelming majority cannot do a lot of independent tasks. You really think some college kid, SJW, or professional victim living in Atlanta would be able to kill a squirrel and clean it? What would they kill it with? How would they properly skin/clean it? How would they find and purifiy water? I think we are all assuming that everyone is like us and has some bare bones survival, hunting, practical skills, which isnt the case at all.

I mean, there are a significant number of americans who can't walk a quarter mile without getting winded. You expect them to forage for food? Dont underestimate the masses, but dont overestimate them either. I've been in planning for operations where bosses and peers what if the scenarios to the point that any plan is not feasible. Have a 90% solution, stick to it, make adjustments as necessary to compensate for changes / issues along the way.
very much this. I live in a decent neighborhood. At the pool this weekend and a storm rolls through. At the fist hint of thunder, we were out of the water. By the time we confirmed thunder we were packing up and GTFO. Nobody else moved, got up, or anything. They were sitting in a lightning magnet in a neighborhood that has legit had houses burn down due to lightning. 3 of them, we're on a hill. It's not a secret.

The complete lack of common sense legit made me upset. Was thinking it would be good to have friends and neighbors around the house. Thinking at least out of this group, they may all be useless.

I will start it off:

1) Not getting on-going health issues resolved. For instance, I have a tooth that has started hurting about a week ago, and I have yet to get a dental appointment. To most this is not a big deal. After all if it starts being too bothersome, I can get to the dentist then.

BUT, what if a long term SHTF suddenly happened? I would be in a very bad situation with the situation getting worse over time and the options not too great.
100% Agree! If our health isn't the best we won't be at our best.

Your elders, small children, and disabled family members will likely get you killed. Mostly because all they do is consume. Can’t fight and don’t move very fast, or need constant care. Which means that’s one less able bodied member of your group that is of any use to surviving.

I think a common mistake is not having more than one plan especially for water.

What does an ill prepared person do if running water is gone and electricity is off for weeks?

Maybe you have a water filter, but what happens if the temperatures are in the teens for days on end? The filter freezes and is damaged. So much for your Berkey.

Plan B, C, and D better be viable.

I think a common mistake is not having more than one plan especially for water.

What does an ill prepared person do if running water is gone and electricity is off for weeks?

Maybe you have a water filter, but what happens if the temperatures are in the teens for days on end? The filter freezes and is damaged. So much for your Berkey.

Plan B, C, and D better be viable.

Would the Berkey be outside? We keep our Berkey on the kitchen counter, indoors with wood heat.

I will start it off:

1) Not getting on-going health issues resolved. For instance, I have a tooth that has started hurting about a week ago, and I have yet to get a dental appointment. To most this is not a big deal. After all if it starts being too bothersome, I can get to the dentist then.

BUT, what if a long term SHTF suddenly happened? I would be in a very bad situation with the situation getting worse over time and the options not too great.
Biggest mistake made by preppers is letting other people know you are a prepper.

I will start it off:

Take a look at emergency dental repair kits.

Your elders, small children, and disabled family members will likely get you killed. Mostly because all they do is consume. Can’t fight and don’t move very fast, or need constant care. Which means that’s one less able bodied member of your group that is of any use to surviving.
not wrong, but I'm not about to get rid of small children. Plus if something terrible does happen to them, all I would need to prep is a single bullet for me...

not wrong, but I'm not about to get rid of small children. Plus if something terrible does happen to them, all I would need to prep is a single bullet for me...
It sounds like your kids mean everything to you. I think you are typical in that respect.

I imagine you would do just about anything to protect them, feed them, and prevent their suffering.

That is the reason good people will do bad things if SHTF. If a father/husband is seeing his family in tears starving to death what wouldn't he be willing to do to feed them - Breaking and entering, stealing, assault, even murder. The death of a stranger or acquaintance compared to the death of your kid or wife is an easy decision for most.

Back
Top Bottom