• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bill of sale ATF trace and ODT

so, in theory, the only point in them doing a trace is to find out if it was stolen from the original purchaser.

They know I don’t have the gun anymore, because they have it.

The only way you can avoid any chance of that happening is to not sell a new gun that you completed paperwork on. It doesn't matter who you sell it to, you cannot control where it ends up down the line or how it gets there.
This is why I say **** a 4473.

Hey y’all

Ok so I like to see a GWCL and some good ODT feedback when I do a sale or trade. I haven’t sold or traded to anyone that was prohibited from owning a firearm but apparently the people I have traded with don’t share the same tendencies.

But I have had two ATF traces come back to me in the last year for glock 19s I have traded on ODT. Which means I have to spend time on the phone with officers and agents unnecessarily.

Apparently ODT has loosened up and we can’t trust anyone.

Is it worth it to start doing bills of sale on things or should i just quit trading?

What do y’all think?
I'm confused about what you are asking. How would a BOS have changed anything in the scenarios you've laid out? :confused:
I'm also not sure how you know you haven't sold or traded to anyone that wasn't prohibited. Or are you suggesting by seeing a GWL that guarantees they aren't prohibited?

I'm confused about what you are asking. How would a BOS have changed anything in the scenarios you've laid out? :confused:
I'm also not sure how you know you haven't sold or traded to anyone that wasn't prohibited. Or are you suggesting by seeing a GWL that guarantees they aren't prohibited?
That’s the thing about it… People can lie and provide fake documents.

More so was just picking the brains of those who have been around as long as I have and have surely gotten calls before. I can’t be the only one.

Seriously though it’s legal to sell personal property. It’s legal to sell to someone you don’t know to be a prohibited person. But if you’re keeping a whole pile of BOS it seems easy for them to make the case you’re “in the business” without an FFL. Which is illegal. And like Capone they get you on not paying taxes.

You did put that you made a profit flipping 19s to gangbangers on your taxes this year right?

My LGS owner told me there is no good reason not to get a signed BOS with the buyer and seller driver license info on it. That way if law enforcement knocks on your door you can point them in the direction the gun went.
So Elmer fudd told you to get a signed piece of paper that will serve no purpose? Got it.

Op a bill of sale won't do squat for you, as stated above if anything the feds will use it as evidence against you if anything.

Back
Top Bottom