• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

?? Bill of Sale for Private Firearm Transactions ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to sound like SPIKE for a minute, sorry.

A BOS is just a backdoor to gun registration.

I guess I can see the argument. But the usual argument against registration is confiscation, and I think you're far more likely to have issues with a stolen gun than that.

It would, but its food for thought for those who are very against the idea.

On the flip side of this, the threat of identify theft is very real. I would be more nervous about giving away my drivers license number than my address.

That's why I removed both the address and DL# from the form. It is VERY generic now. Only contains the gun info, names, signatures, and date. On my end, I will keep notes of phone calls, PMs, and emails just to back it up.

drtybykr said:
A BOS is just a backdoor to gun registration

For once, bykr, I have to respectfully disagree. Like other posts here have said, nobody sees the BoS until the cops come knocking. Its more a "peace-of-mind" and "just-in-case" thing than anything else.

A BOS is just a backdoor to gun registration.

That's nigh on conspiracy theory. If you and I are the only ones that have the information, how is that in any way a form of gun registration?

Don't take this as a personal attack, please. It is not meant to be that in any way, shape, form or fashion. But if someone doesn't trust another person enough to complete a BoS (either way, buyer or seller), why would said person trust the other person enough to stake their freedom on whether or not the gun was used for an illegal purpose just before the transfer? 'Gut instinct' isn't really a good defense strategy.

I'm no fan of the Gov't. in my business either...but I don't mind covering my posterior should something come to light on a gun that I traded/bought through a private transaction.

If I have someone that wants a BOS I write one up that has all of the information of the firearm on it. It says the firearm has not been used in a crime by the owner (I sign and print there)and there are no laws preventing the buyer from owning/buying the firearm (buyer signs and prints).

I do look at their DL and show mine just to prove age and name. I would rather everyone I do deal with have a CWP, but that's not a deal breaker.

I also think the seller sets the rules, if the buyer wants the gun they can do what is asked or move on. If it's your gun it's your rules. I have refused to give my address and will do so again.

The law does not require a BOS. According to the law, all you need to do is verify the person is a Ga. resident, and ask them if they are eligible to own a firearm. No more, No less. It really is that simple.

Why would you consider it a problem to ask for a BoS? Seems to me that only good could come from it, as long as you don't share personal information. I, for one, would like to receive a BoS when I buy a used gun.

I think of it like this:

You buy a used gun at a gun shop/pawn shop. Do you not expect a receipt? And isn't a receipt just another word for "bill of sale"? If they "refuse" to provide you with a receipt, would you still buy the gun?

Or, say you buy a gun from Bob. Bob refuses to give you a BoS. And lets say that, for some reason, down the road you get pulled over and the cop searches your car and comes across the gun. A serial # search reveals that Bob reported the gun stolen. If you have no paperwork showing you bought it, then you're screwed.

Seems like it couldn't hurt to deal with BoS, but it could hurt to not deal with BoS.

All the law requires the seller to do is make resaonable effort to assertain the answers to three questions....

Are they old enough?
Are they resident of this state?
Are they a felony or prohibited to own a firearm?

It is your judgement if they are telling you the truth. There is nothing in the law that requires you to record the answers. BoS create as many if not more issues than they solve.

If you have a folder of BoS from years of trading. and law enforcement gets hold of it, they may form the opinion that you are a non-licensed dealer. It has happened....
Factual accuracy on paperwork is a real problem. Stolen identities are as easy as clicking mouse.

Just simply comply with what the law requires and don't make up new rules and hoops to jump through. It is this ultimately detrimental to the hobby we all love.

The law does not require a BOS. According to the law, all you need to do is verify the person is a Ga. resident, and ask them if they are eligible to own a firearm. No more, No less. It really is that simple.

It may be a bit of a jump, but the law also says you have the right to defend youself. Yet it seems those cases are never that simple

ETA: My point here is even though you may have followed the law, it may take a bit of time and expense to do so, even though you may ultimately prevail

Last edited:
if i have a gun i got from a private party, theres no paper linking me to it. if i sell it to you with a bos, i'm now linked to it. not knowing you. now you go rob a store with it and guess who's in trouble. i follow the law. don't see that i should do more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom