• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Bill of sale: yes or no?

Why would you need one? Are you crazy? A bill of sale is a magic cloak of legal invincibility. You merely show it to any law enforcement officer and any offense is forgiven whether you are guilty or not.

In fact I am surprised criminals have no caught on by now. If you kill someone, just write up a bill of sale and show it to the judge. "Your Honor, I could not have committed this crime because, as you can see on this piece of paper, I sold it to a John Smith."
OK, so you go out and pick up a nice Zastava Marked Yugo Underfolder ( ;) ) You are driving home and get side-swiped. You are knocked unconscious. When you awake you are in the hospital, and there are cops there asking you about this nice chopper you had in your vehicle that just so happens to have 5 bodies on it, 3 are those of cops. And want to know WTF. You say "I just bought it right before I got hit, I have no idea about any bodies, murders or cops!" they say ya right, who did you buy it from?

You answer:
A. I don't know they guys name, his handle is oOshtAKguy on the trader. I swear I have no idea.
B. I just purchased it from John Smith at 666 Mocking bird way, Zastava, GA, I have a signed BOS as proof. I was smart enough to get one and OH.. it happens to be in the back pocket of my pants you are standing on officer. Must be my lucky day.

A LEO friend of mine actually had his cousin in this exact predicament. Cousin just bought a shotgun off craigslist from 'some guy', was in a wreck... the gun had a cops body on it. The kid spend 3 weeks in jail while they sorted it out. The LEO told me to have 3 dam copies of the BOS. 1 in your car, one in your GHB and one in a file folder at home. Said he got the call and could do nothing to help him.

So, I will be the one to say it is absolutely an excellent idea. It would be total stupidity to not have it. I even check the info against an ID as someone could be dumping a dirty gun on you and using fake info on a fake BOS.

As far as info on you floating around on a piece of paper. If you think your info can't be pulled up at any time by anybody with any intelligence, your fooling yourself.

BOS Every single time.

Last edited:
OK, so you go out and pick up a nice Zastava Marked Yugo Underfolder ( ;) ) You are driving home and get side-swiped. You are knocked unconscious. When you awake you are in the hospital, and there are cops there asking you about this nice chopper you had in your vehicle that just so happens to have 5 bodies on it, 3 are those of cops. And want to know WTF. You say "I just bought it right before I got hit, I have no idea about any bodies, murders or cops!" they say ya right, who did you buy it from?

You answer:
A. I don't know they guys name, his handle is oOshtAKguy on the trader. I swear I have no idea.
B. I just purchased it from John Smith at 666 Mocking bird way, Zastava, GA, oh... and here is his BOS I was smart enough to get and OH.. it happens to be in the back pocket of my pants you are standing on officer. Must be my lucky day.

A LEO friend of mine actually had his cousin in this exact predicament. Cousin just bought a shotgun off GON from 'some guy' was in a wreck and the gun had a cops body on it. The kid spend 3 weeks in jail while they sorted it out. the LEO told me to have 3 dam copies of the BOS. 1 in your car, one in your GHB and one in a file folder at home. Said he got the call and could do nothing to help him.

So, I will be the one to say it is absolutely an excellent idea. It would be total stupidity to not have it. I even check the info against an ID as someone could be dumping a dirty gun on you and using fake info on a fake BOS.

As far as info on you floating around on a piece of paper. If you think your info can't be pulled up at any time by anybody with any intelligence, your fooling yourself.

BOS Every single time.

I see you and I will NEVER do a gun deal. Neither you nor anyone else is ever going to get me to do a BoS at all much less "check the info against an ID" unless you have a store front and I just GOTTA have something in your inventory. Then it won't be a BoS it will be a 4473.

BoS=PoS

never gunna happen.

Good thing this site has enough members for each to suit themselves. So is the the address or the picture you are so protective of?

Funny the irony. I will NEVER do a deal where I put my info on a 4473. Talk about your info being in the wrong hands.

I always wondered about this myself, I see more than a few people on here are highly against a bill of sale. I really don't get it, I've sold and bought several handguns and I've always required a BoS. Like talkstosquirrels (great name) said I'd rather have a paper trail showing a transaction was made than not. I find it hard to believe that a BoS would be of no benefit in a situation where the gun's ownership was questioned. If I sold a gun to someone, it gets stolen from them, then a crime is committed, they are going to come and chat with me. I can tell them, I sold that gun to some guy on ODT and he showed me a GA DL or I can say, "I sold that gun a while back, hold on and I'll get the bill of sale on it." Seems like an easy one to me.

It's definitely your right to not want to fill out a BoS or pass on my gun if I require one. I've made note that in the future I'll mention BoS required when selling. Selling a firearm is a hell of a lot different than selling a couch or a TV.

Last edited:
Thanks JD.

Just seems to be common sense. Some have it. You can't be responsible for what others actions, only our own. If one piece of paper can keep any ambiguity out of a situation, I am all about it.

I always wondered about this myself, I see more than a few people on here are highly against a bill of sale. I really don't get it, I've sold and bought several handguns and I've always required a BoS. Like talkstosquirrels (great name) said I'd rather have a paper trail showing a transaction was made than not. I find it hard to believe that a BoS would be of no benefit in a situation where the gun's ownership was questioned. If I sold a gun to someone, it gets stolen from them, then a crime is committed, they are going to come and chat with me. I can tell them, I sold that gun to some guy on ODT and he showed me a GA DL or I can say, "I sold that gun a while back, hold on and I'll get the bill of sale on it." Seems like an easy one to me.

It's definitely you're right to not want to fill out a BoS or pass on my gun if I require one. I've made note that in the future I'll mention BoS required when selling. Selling a firearm is a hell of a lot different than selling a couch or a TV.

Ya really! I've never heard of a 'drive by toastering' or "he was TV'd to death over $5". Glad to see some appreciation for making sense. If I buy something, it's gonna have paper on it with matching serial numbers a first and last name and all the info it takes to get the heat off my a$$ if it was, or is used in a felonious manner.

What's the flip side? Someone sees your BOS on the seller/buyers table, covertly steals your address and puts you on a mailing list? ooooooo
I guess thats at least 3 of us that will NEVER be doing a deal with mdog.

Ya really! I've never heard of a 'drive by toastering' or "he was TV'd to death over $5". Glad to see some appreciation for making sense. If I buy something, it's gonna have paper on it with matching serial numbers a first and last name and all the info it takes to get the heat off my a$$ if it was, or is used in a felonious manner.

What's the flip side? Someone sees your BOS on the seller/buyers table, covertly steals your address and puts you on a mailing list? ooooooo
I guess thats at least 3 of us that will NEVER be doing a deal with mdog.

A drive-by toastering would make for a damn good news story!

NEWS ANNCR: "Tonight at 9, the aftermath left from crazed tosterman. Toaster had no receipt and presumed stolen. No one knows, our investigator has the FULL story at 9."

(SOUNDBITE)
TOASTERMAN: "I swear I'm innocent!"
COPS: "Proove it"
TOASTERMAN: "I asked for the receipt but the clerk said ABSOLUTELY NOT!"
COPS: "TELL IT TO THE JUDGE"

Hell yes, just got back a Smith that the popo had taken from a friend who died, only because I had a paper trail (bos) saying I bought it

Back
Top Bottom