• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bolt Carrier Group NP3 or NiB?

Porter Rockwell

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
93   0
Reaction score
I want to upgrade my BCG on a Colt AR? What recommendations do you have that are improvements over the stock Colt BCG? I want something that resists carbon fouling more for high volume shooting. Also, although my gun is of course only semi-auto or there other advantages to the full auto BCG? Durability?

Finally is the a specific brand you recommend? Really hope to hear from guys with solid experience.

Thanks - best answer will get $10 donated in their name to help Jeddak on the his gofundmepage.

Also, please find a few dollars and donate to the link found in my signature line- Thanks

Cryptic coatings is some slick stuff, had a wilson combat np3 that was real nice. Right now have a enhanced lmt bolt with a voodoo innovations bolt but can't try it out yet ;). Really be up to you honestly and be prepared for the nay sayers lol

This is my $.02 and should be taken as such. I am no trainer, have no combat experience, nor do I get to pump thousands of rounds down range every year. Just a few personal experiences as well as sharing feedback from others on here.

I want to upgrade my BCG on a Colt AR? What recommendations do you have that are improvements over the stock Colt BCG?

• Your stock AR15 profile Colt BCG will probably out last how long you have the rifle, unless you pump 15-20K+ rounds plus through it

I want something that resists carbon fouling more for high volume shooting. Also, although my gun is of course only semi-auto or there other advantages to the full auto BCG?

• In regards to your NP3 vs Nibx question, here is a great article showing the key differences between them. Basically, NibX has ridges to reduce the friction surface area, NP3 has teflon embedded in the finish to provide lubrication as it wears. https://robarguns.com/blog/2013/08/23/np3-vs-nickel-boron/ Fail Zero does claim that many other Nickel Boron coatings are inferior to their EXO one, but I am still mixed. I know quite a few members on here have had great luck with their Fail Zero BCG's

• My personal experience with Nickel Boron coated BCG's is that its not as easy to clean as you would think. Sure the outside of the carriers wipes off nicely, but the bolt itself is just as hard to clean IMHO (although others on here swear its easier). Again, take my opinion with a grain of salt. Just my $.02 and its not worth much.

• Some advantages to a M16 profile/weighted carrier. More bolt lockup time, more reciprocating mass to combat the typical over gassed nature of your Colt's carbine gas system (assuming its not a 20" rifle), ability to trip an auto sear if you ever want to throw your upper on an M16 lower.

Durability?

• If you go with a new BCG, you get what you pay for. If you find a $90-$100 Nickel Boron coated BCG, I can almost promise its not made of mil-spec materials or to those specifications. If you get a quality BCG, not sure you would ever see a big reliability difference between your stock BCG. That is unless you are taking rifle classes or dumping thousands of rounds through your rifle or it sees relatively harsh conditions. Both NP3/Nickel Boron make claims to not need as much lubrication, if any at all, which I guess would be nice if you forgot your lube and still had a long day of shooting to go.

Finally is the a specific brand you recommend? Really hope to hear from guys with solid experience.

• Fail Zero for Nickel Boron (based solely off the numerous high round count members on here with them)
  • Sionics for NP3, (based off the level of detail and experience within the company making them).

Thanks - best answer will get $10 donated in their name to help Jeddak on the his gofundmepage.

Also, please find a few dollars and donate to the link found in my signature line- Thanks

For over a year now I've been running a VooDoo Innovations BCG with integral gas key and LifeCoat.

Doesn't run any better or worse than the mil-spec DD BCG it replaced, but it cleans up waaaaay easier.

The integral gas key is some added piece of mind. I've seen several gas keys come loose over the years, but if you know what do look for in the stake job on the bolts it should not be an issue for you.

The BCG was sent to me for a T&E. I liked it enough to pay for it and keep it. I'll have it at the class at TruPrep this Saturday as a demo piece.

Back
Top Bottom