• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Bolt Carrier Group NP3 or NiB?

Is there anyone local that does NP3 or Nibx work?

Yes on NiB, but Robar invented the NP3 process. I can't recommend anyone for NP3 nearly as much as I recommend Robar. Everything I've ever had coated in NP3 was done by Robar. Outstanding warranty as well, although I've never needed it. The NP3 coating on my HK P7 M8 is at least 8 years old now.

Reviving an old thread.

I’ve been running a Sionics NP3 BCG for quite a while and really like it. Only cost me $50-$60 more than the BCG’s I normally run.

Has it made my AR more reliable? Can’t say that, my carbines were perfectly reliable with the previous, uncoated bolts. The action feels noticeably smoother when I cycle it by hand, but I notice no difference when firing it.

The difference in cleaning can’t be compared. You’ll have to decide if the price difference is worth it to you. It’s worth it to me.

The more I’ve read, talked to knowledgeable folks, and learned, the more I’ve shied away from NiB. Not an easy process to do well, which can result in hydrogen embrittlement. A complete NiB BCG from Fail Zero is $159.99 plus shipping. My Sionics NP3 BCG was $184.95 plus shipping from Western Sport. Not much difference.

NP3 has a lifetime warranty.

NP3 has a coefficient of friction as low as .07-.1 according to test standards LFW-1 and ASTM D-2714. Nickel boron has a coefficient of friction as low as .08-.2 (these numbers are from a popular nickel boron company’s website)

You will see that the friction starts higher and can go twice as high as NP3. Both of these are averages of multiple tests and you can see NP3 is more consistent where nickel boron has a larger standard deviation. Also tests are done on a brand new finish so both finishes have no wear to begin the test.

Even more important than just the numbers is how each finish achieves these coefficient of friction.

NP3 has PTFE also known as Teflon® co-deposited in the nickel matrix. As wear occurs new PTFE particles are exposed and the self lubricating properties continue.

Nickel boron has a surface with many high points. Because the high points make all the contact, there is less surface area for friction to occur. The problem with this is once the high points wear down the coefficient of friction increases due to more surface area being contacted. With no self lubricating particles like Teflon® in the nickel boron matrix there is no additional lubrication after the contact points are worn. Bottom line is that if you see wear on nickel boron it has lost it’s “self lubricating” properties at that spot.

NP3 is easy to clean for the same reason that a pan with Teflon® is easy to clean. Teflon® is non-stick and easy to wipe down, therefore carbon does not adhere to the surface.

Nickel boron has many ridges to catch carbon fouling. The ridges in nickel boron are smaller than the ridges in manganese phosphate, that act as a sponge for oil, so compared to manganese phosphate, nickel boron is easier to clean. This is the same as comparing a rail road spike to a nail in your tire. One is definitely worse than the other, but both will impede function.

Nickel boron has thousands of pores in the surface. This is why it discolors after use; carbon and other fouling deposits get down into these pores and won’t comes out.

Anyways, those are the facts, you’ll have to come to your own conclusion as to what is best for you.

Interesting. I always assumed these modern coatings/treatments were roughly equivalent, and for the typical AR shooter I bet they are close. It's always good to see how things stand up to a heavy-use environment though.

Back
Top Bottom