• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

BOS......WHY ?

20 plus years ago I sold a model 59 and 586 to a guy. I purchased the 586 new so original paperwork was on me. A year later the FBI agent was at my job because the DB I sold them to went and robbed a bank and shot someone , got shot, and killed. I was very happy to hand that fbi agent the BOS that documented the date that I no longer owned that gun. That's why I do them if I sell to someone I do not know.

Wonder what would have happened if you told them you sold it..wish them a nice day and close the door?

I like bills of sale for any valuable item, and in particular a deadly weapon that could one day be used in a crime.
Many of the guns I've sold or traded were first sold at an FFL dealer to me, and that gun is "registered" (de-facto paper registration, even if not computerized) to me through the Form 4473.
Aside from that, when I'm buying a used gun, doing a bill of sale is something that makes me more confident that I'm not buying a stolen gun, rather than buying from some anonymous stranger I found on an internet classified ad.
But I don't always insist on them. It's a preference, not a firm rule.
Even without a bill of sale, I have print-outs of the ad in question, the PM's or messages from the other party, and often some hand-scribbled notes about the deal. So it's not like I'd have to just shrug my shoulders if some detective challenged me to prove I didn't steal the gun or buy it in a back-alley from a known fence.

I am happy to provide a stool sample if requested... :hat:

oi65.tinypic.com_fveip3.jpg

20 plus years ago I sold a model 59 and 586 to a guy. I purchased the 586 new so original paperwork was on me. A year later the FBI agent was at my job because the DB I sold them to went and robbed a bank and shot someone , got shot, and killed. I was very happy to hand that fbi agent the BOS that documented the date that I no longer owned that gun. That's why I do them if I sell to someone I do not know.

I could write/type a bill of sale for each weapon I've ever owned and document the name of the person that I sold it to (or didn't sell it to), the paper is worthless! How can that person prove that they did or did not buy the weapon? , how can I prove that I did or did not sell the weapon? I can't and neither can they, it's my word against theirs. The seller might as well just forgo the BOS and say that all of their weapons were "lost in a boating accident".

If I wanted to provide all of my information to someone, and leave a trail of what I may or may not have purchased (for those that don't have any business knowing), I would go ahead and purchase everything from a retailer...

Well Mr. Ford my beloved mod would have been great for you to have given me an example of a BOS post that has been posted before...I did SEARCH BOS before I posted but all that came up was threads that said bill of sale ....NO... I would have expected a little more from a moderator that in trusted to Inform people, but then again I except the fact that my expectations are a bit much. Instead of OH NO NOT ANOTHER BOS POST....You have a very Merry Christmas and a prosperous New year and I'm so sorry that you had to read and do something with my post. Now you can go ahead and gig me as I fully expect you will.

Bill

Well Mr. Ford my beloved mod would have been great for you to have given me an example of a BOS post that has been posted before...I did SEARCH BOS before I posted but all that came up was threads that said bill of sale ....NO... I would have expected a little more from a moderator that in trusted to Inform people, but then again I except the fact that my expectations are a bit much. Instead of OH NO NOT ANOTHER BOS POST....You have a very Merry Christmas and a prosperous New year and I'm so sorry that you had to read and do something with my post. Now you can go ahead and gig me as I fully expect you will.

Bill

:lol: That is awesome.

So you're convinced now that the FBI couldn't figure out that you were at work, or out fishing, or whatever, when the robbery occurred without your trusty BOS?

How did the FBI know that you didn't dummy up the BOS between the bank robbery and when the agent showed up. Unless it was notarized or filed in an official registry, it's just a piece of paper of unknown vintage.

Back
Top Bottom