• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Brunswick stew, pretty danged good!

My dad would make something similar every year. Started out as hash,morphed into a mull and usually got some weird nickname like gumbowla. He would put whatever he could get his hands on, Chicken,pork,rabbits,corn,tomatoes,vinegar and he would slow cook it outside in a large black pot over an open fire. I swear people all over the neighborhood would start showing up just from the smell.
Burgoo is what we called it. Squirrel and rabbit made it mighty good with any other meat you have to put in the pot. It was an all day affair when family was family.

Burgoo is what we called it. Squirrel and rabbit made it mighty good with any other meat you have to put in the pot. It was an all day affair when family was family.
the good ol days. Sadly a dying tradition and Ill admit I didnt pay enough attention to what he was doing and Im sure I cant recreate it. I could kick my own a$$.

My dad always made stew as I was growing up an I remember them using hog head in it as well! Us d to go to cannery and make about 100 gallons and can . Did this ever 3 years and I learned from him how to make it.

Tried making it the way my grandmother used to. It's delicious. I was working from 45+ year old memories, not measuring anything really, just adding until it looked and tasted right.

Smoked chicken thighs and smoked pork butt minced (about 6-8 cups total).
2 sweet and 1 large Spanish onion diced (sweated with 1/2 stick butter to begin)
Minced Garlic 3 cloves
13 Roma tomatoes blanched, peeled diced.
1 can Tomato sauce.
What'syersisters sauce, about 4 tablespoons.
White vinegar, about 2/3 cup.
Yellow mustard, good squirt.
Ketchup, two good squirts.
Salt and pepper to taste.
3 cups chicken broth (homemade).
YIELD: about 5 quarts.

NO: Corn, Potatoes, Okra, Butterbeans, Green Beans, Sweet Peas or Carrots to float around like it's some type of jacked up vegetable soup.

I realize I'm starting something with that last statement.
View attachment 5675452
Looks great!! Honest, I didn’t know you could call it Brunswick stew without cream corn? Heck… that looks like Brunswick stew to me.

Brunswick STEW is not soup. It has corn & okra in it. It also has a thick consistency unlike soup that is watery.
Those of you who want to change the ingredients, then change them…..change them in what YOU make.
But please don’t say that it needs to be a certain way for everyone - depending on your taste or somebody else’s taste because you or they don’t like a certain ingredient.
These stews and dishes have been around and served longer than any of us have been alive. Some of them need to be kept the original ways they were intended, IMO.
This. Why do they have to put it in a blender? I’ve had Brunswick “stew” that was almost all liquid. That’s not stew. The Brunswick stew I make is thick. You can see and taste most of the ingredients. I’m just a damn yankee but I’ve been told it originated in the Carolina’s as a throw what you’ve got in a pot meal because most were poor back in the day and had a bunch of mouths to feed.

This has been my experience too.

Even if my grandmother put butter beans and corn in hers, she would ladle it into a hand crank grinder mounted to a table with a spout pointing back into the pot. I will nevah accept Brunswick stew with chunks of anything in it, LOL.
That’s just soup. Stews are hearty meals

Back
Top Bottom