• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Caliber Choice

Bear44 that's exactly what I'm saying. I know at 300 with the particular load I shoot out of my 308 if I hold at the top of a 17in circle I hit dead center. By no holdover I mean not coming off the animal. As far as a humane kill a 308 has the energy for a much further shot. Most of us just don't have the property in ga to take that shot. I love a pile of calibers the 308 is just preference for perfiperfor vs recoil and practicality.

Bear44 that's exactly what I'm saying. I know at 300 with the particular load I shoot out of my 308 if I hold at the top of a 17in circle I hit dead center. By no holdover I mean not coming off the animal. As far as a humane kill a 308 has the energy for a much further shot. Most of us just don't have the property in ga to take that shot. I love a pile of calibers the 308 is just preference for perfiperfor vs recoil and practicality.
Got it. I love the 308. If I'll be taking a shot between 300 and 800 yards, it's my go to cartridge. That's mostly because I have a 308 rifle that is set up specifically to do that. Inside that, I use a light weight 300 WSM and further than that it will be a 300 RUM.

No, I haven't had much opportunity for extreme range hunting, but I just got access to land that will give it to me.
df3.jpg

From end to end this area is over 1000 yards.

df1.jpg

Spotted these in the far corner of the field in the above pic. They would have been visible from the tower stand we are going to place.

You sir have been blessed by the deer gods. It's only end of May and I'm already boring the wife with opening day ideas. Beautiful place Bear

Got it. I love the 308. If I'll be taking a shot between 300 and 800 yards, it's my go to cartridge. That's mostly because I have a 308 rifle that is set up specifically to do that. Inside that, I use a light weight 300 WSM and further than that it will be a 300 RUM.

No, I haven't had much opportunity for extreme range hunting, but I just got access to land that will give it to me.
View attachment 1642044
From end to end this area is over 1000 yards.

View attachment 1642050
Spotted these in the far corner of the field in the above pic. They would have been visible from the tower stand we are going to place.
Wow that last pic looks scary similar to one of my food plots lol

Back
Top Bottom