• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Can I carry a firearm into South Carolina?

If ur a GA resident. Yes however, SC does not have resiprocity with GA if you plan on carrying.. once you get to the state line ( if holstered) you must unholster and lock and clear. Seperate the mag from the firearm. Stow in the glovebox....

I use to live in SC. As long as it is in either a holster or a butterfly case you can keep it in the glove box, center column, or under the seat. You may NOT have it in open view on your seat or dash. Unless you want to go to jail.

I just keep mine under my seat when I go to my dads in Anderson. Just don't give them a reason to pull you over. I love seeing where a drug runner gets pulled over for speeding or expired tag, dip s**ts! But I don't carry there, GA and SC don't get along with each other!

I use to live in SC. As long as it is in either a holster or a butterfly case you can keep it in the glove box, center column, or under the seat. You may NOT have it in open view on your seat or dash. Unless you want to go to jail.

I am from SC, still an SC resident just stationed in GA. I just renewed my SC carry permit (yes I have GA and SC) and had to sit in the 8 hour class. YOU CAN NOT CARRY IT UNDER THE SEAT!! It will be considered open carrying which is a NO NO in South Carolina. The rest about the center column, glove box, "suit case" is true. The items do not have to lock and you can keep it loaded. "A safe gun is a loaded gun, you never know when sh't will hit the fan." Not trying to argue or anything just want t o make sure the right info is passed...

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926A
18 USC § 926A
"Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."

I was going to myrtle beach several year ago and had my cruise control set dead on the 60 mph limit and started down a long hill and the cruise allowed it to gain 4-5 mph. Met a SC trooper and saw him skidding across the median like he's just seen Bin Laden and the blues were on and he came up behind me and I shouldered it. I sat there and the pot gutted sunglass wearing trooper finally made his waddle to my window. I, being an ex LEO myself sat with both hands on the wheel in plain sight, he said show me yer license & Inshorance papers "Boy", I was 40 at the time. I handed him what he asked for and he said I'm gonna have to write you a ticket for speeding 4 mph over the limit, you need to watch the round dial with the needle to stay below the limit. I said can't you give an ex LEO a 4mph break sir, he lowered the huge sunglasses and peered over the top and said, boy, I wouldn't giver my damn Mama a break. He wrote it out and said you can pay me $50 right here and go on yer way or follow me to the nearest city hall and post bond, yer choice. Hesitantly, I dished out a $50, as time was with it and he probably spent it on PBR. He never once said or asked about the 1911 stuck in between my seat & the console, lucked out on that unnoticed item I reckon.
I still respect all in uniform be it LEO, Firefighters or any first responders but this one time I felt true despise for this unrespectful asshat.:hat:

South Carolina Reciprocity

RECIPROCITY

Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Missouri, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Texas, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wyoming.

Residents of reciprocal states who hold permits issued by their states of residence may carry concealed firearms in South Carolina, but must abide by the restrictions in the South Carolina CWP law. For that reason, out of state residents of reciprocal states should familiarize themselves with restricted carry locations and other provisions of South Carolina law posted on this website. South Carolina permittees who carry firearms in reciprocal states are likewise responsible for familiarizing themselves with the applicable laws and regulations of the reciprocal state. Web sites of those states may be accessed by selecting the desired state name listed above.

Is the reason we don't have reciprocity with SC (and Ohio) due to the fact that GA does not require a training class before getting a GWL?

Back
Top Bottom