• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Carbine for the wife: M1 Carbine vs Mini 30

M1 Carbine or Ruger Mini 30?

• Total voters
Unless you reload you will find many more options in 762x39 HP ammo. Winchester even has a PDX1 home defense loading out. Reloading for the 30 CAR has plenty of options but the debate about reloading for self defense is for another thread. I would get the Mini burn up cheap Russian ammo at the range but keep the mags stoked with high quality domestic hollow points of its choice for home defense.

not sure if it's even made, but I'd like a Sig-556R pistol with a brace. 7.62x39 and it is a pseudo-SBR without the stamp.
Of the 2 you mentioned, I'd get the 30-carbine.

Despite the modern internet banter, I've read that troops issued the M-1 carbine were for the most part happy they had it.

Last edited:
not sure if it's even made, but I'd like a Sig-556R pistol with a brace. 7.62x39 and it is a pseudo-SBR without the stamp.
Of the 2 you mentioned, I'd get the 30-carbine.

Despite the modern internet banter, I've read that troops issued the M-1 carbine were for the most part happy they had it.

My father in-law had an M2 in Korea. Said he loved it inside 100 yards it was accurate and deadly. He didn't use the full auto on it much except at night, but having 30 rounds a magazine was nice. He also said he never had any reliability problems. At night he liked the full auto capability because; "at night you would practically bump into the zips, with full auto you could light them up and fall back before they knew what hit em".

20141028_173921.jpg

Thoughts?

I've owned and used both. Well, I don't have a lot of experience with my new stainless Mini-30 yet, but I've put a few mags through it. Most of my Mini-14 experience is from the .223 caliber guns. We've had a U.S. G.I. surplus carbine in my family for 50 years.

The .30 carbine is lighter and has less noise and recoil. It's probably a gun that an inexperienced woman or skinny teenager would be more comfortable with.
I don't think that the .30 carbine is as reliable as the Mini-14 family of rifles, though. Both are reliable enough to suit me, but we've had several jams on the M1 Carbine over the years, and that's NEVER happened with the Ruger rifles and FACTORY RUGER magazines.

The 7.62 x 39 mm is considerably more powerful. It's got a heavier bullet going 20% faster. And if you were to compare the performance at 200 yards, then the difference between them would be huge. At home defense distances, both have plenty of velocity to penetrate and make any soft-point ammo expand.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom