• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

carrying in car without permit

please re-read...it doesn't say you have to carry openly with a gwl...you do have to have a gwl to carry a handgun openly...
SORRY. You are absolutely totally correct. I was looking at the words a different way. I know the laws very well. The sentence structure just threw me off, and I was looking at the meaning of the sentence wrong.

SORRY. You are absolutely totally correct. I was looking at the words a different way. I know the laws very well. The sentence structure just threw me off, and I was looking at the meaning of the sentence wrong.
I see NOW how you were reading it. Yeah, not the best sentence structure in the world I guess. ;)

I see NOW how you were reading it. Yeah, not the best sentence structure in the world I guess. ;)
Thanks. I kept reading it wrong as: if you have are a Georgia Weapons License Holder, you have to carry a gun openly. But it says: It requires a license to carry a gun openly.

Thanks. I kept reading it wrong as: if you have are a Georgia Weapons License Holder, you have to carry a gun openly. But it says: It requires a license to carry a gun openly.

Up until about 1980, in Georgia you could open carry without a license, a license ("pistol toters permit" at the time) was only required for concealed carry. "Open carry" was defined as any part of the gun being exposed, the courts holding that the purpose of open carry was to advise the public that you were armed and prepared to defend yourself. Georgia Courts considered that an essential right. For example you could legally open carry with a pistol in your back pocket with only the grip exposed. That used to be a very stylish look among the overall wearing crowd in small towns.

Up until about 1980, in Georgia you could open carry without a license, a license ("pistol toters permit" at the time) was only required for concealed carry. "Open carry" was defined as any part of the gun being exposed, the courts holding that the purpose of open carry was to advise the public that you were armed and prepared to defend yourself. Georgia Courts considered that an essential right. For example you could legally open carry with a pistol in your back pocket with only the grip exposed. That used to be a very stylish look among the overall wearing crowd in small towns.

Then the state figured out they could make money on it...

Back
Top Bottom