• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cast Iron

I never wash mine. I wipe it out with a paper towel if I am just cooling meat. If there is something I am cooking that has gravy or sauce I will rinse it out then wipe down with a paper towel. I never use harsh detergent on mine. I am afraid it would strip all the good seasoning off. If I water it down I usually spray a blast of pam to protect the surface and leave the splatter screen over it with a paper towel on top. It always sits on the back burner of my stove.
Yep. Not supposed to wash them. Especially with any detergent if you can help it. You are right…keeps the seasoning in it.
I will use a little butter when I am cooking in mine for light stuff…or oil if needed for heavier cooking. One that is seasoned right doesnt need much ! :)

I think the reason most people don't use them is because the don't season them properly and it makes a mess their first time and give up. Once the pan is good and seasoned it's hard to beat the even heat distributing and flavor.
Agree!!! most folks seem to like the shiny new pans....cast iron is plan....not pretty

Yep. Not supposed to wash them. Especially with any detergent if you can help it. You are right…keeps the seasoning in it.
I will use a little butter when I am cooking in mine for light stuff…or oil if needed for heavier cooking. One that is seasoned right doesnt need much ! :)
I just rinse very lightly to get sauce or gravy out and not hot water. Just a light rinse. That doesn't take any of the seasoning off in my experience anyways. Then I just wipe off with paper towel. Specially if it a heavy or sweet sauce because that can give off unwanted flavor. Anything other than that is just a wipe down and store.

I also only use a high smoke point oil. Butter can burn if you are not careful and leave a fowl taste in the pan. As long as you cook in low it doesn't matter which you use. On meats I like to sear with med. to high heat and butter will smoke too much. After I cook meat like steak I will add a pat of butter on the meat just before I take it out of the pan if it not to hot.

cooking up another pot of snap
20230521_091631.png
beans and neck bones....in my cast iron Wagner

I’ve got one that’s a dedicated corn bread skillet. Grease it up with lard, get it hot and get ready for some outstanding corn bread. It pretty much cooks itself!
Yep, the wife has one just for cornbread. You better not touch it either !! Lol. She does nothing but cornbread in that one skillet.

Yep, the wife has one just for cornbread. You better not touch it either !! Lol. She does nothing but cornbread in that one skillet.

If you really want to see the difference in the made in China stuff vs made here, go to Academy or Walmart and look at one of their cheap house brand cast iron pans. Rough as a cob! Compare it to a lodge or older cast iron and it’s smooth as glass. Pure trash!

If you really want to see the difference in the made in China stuff vs made here, go to Academy or Walmart and look at one of their cheap house brand cast iron pans. Rough as a cob! Compare it to a lodge or older cast iron and it’s smooth as glass. Pure trash!
Yep, I have seen them . Especially lately. It seems that the cheaper China stuff is getting worse and worse too.
I am glad we have some good ones. I have some that were handed down and the wife brought a couple with her 30 yrs ago when we first hooked up ! Lol

Back
Top Bottom