• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

caution you are being recorded

My first Chief said, on my first day. "All I ask is that you come in and be professional every day".

Thirteen years later, after one Federal lawsuit, many, many complaints that have been proven false. I take measures to protect my family and my self from this lawsuit happy world.

I know where that line is, its written on a single piece of paper. I try to be fair, I don't write speeding unless they are 18 over, no equipment violations, but I have a job to do. If your drunk, stupid, stealing, robbing, beating your wife, try kill me, some one else or threaten my family. You're a@@ is going to jail.

I am not a "warm and fuzzy" kinda guy. Been night shift, traffic cop too long. It's about finding a balance. Spending time with the Family and going to Church.

Then I get on the ODT and all that’s down hill ! I attempt to re-trade my collection every night ;-)

Mikey,
Sounds like you're one of the good ones. I think a lot of cops get jaded by the stuff they see day in and day out, and lose focus of their purpose. Glad to see that's not a universal sentiment.

I wouldn't mind being recorded as long as I'm told that I'm being recorded. It isn't professional to record anyone with out them knowing it regardless of who it is protecting. With all that said 99.9% of all the cops I've ever known and grew up with are perfectly honest and just doing their job mostly dealing with with people who wouldn't know what honesty if it took a bite our of there hind side. Couldn't pay me enough to deal with that.

Although I must say every time I HAVE NEEDED a camera, like car being hit in a parking lot or something, the stores cameras never work :/
I used to park in front of the camera every day at my job so my car would always be recorded while i worked. One day a lady came in asking who my car belonged to. FedEx guy did a hit and run on my car. On camera (with a witness). Broke my bumper. (tiny car). So it they came in handy for me

As for my part i have found yes sir and no sir to be very useful in dealing with the police. I got nothing to hide. I have preached this to my kids as well. If the officer wants to search the car then no problem sir. My kids understand the environment that a police officer works in every day. Never make him/her feel uneasy. Its worked well for me and my family. The kids know that if they mess with a cop they better be deep in a jail before i find out. Maybe that's why my youngest is looking into the field. Respect cuts 2 ways.
I will not allow fishing trips. If an officer has a good reason to believe I have something illegal in my car, then he/she can get a warrant. I preached to my daughter to say yes sir, yes mam, no sir, no mam to every adult she encountered, from LEOs, teachers, and janitors and lunchroom workers at school. I also taught her that there is a reason for the inclusion of the 4th Amendment in the Constitution. Sometimes I might have a half-dozen (perfectly legal) guns in my truck, and frankly, I don't want to have to explain to some excitable young officer why I have them, nor do I want him detaining me for an hour while he runs the serial numbers. I have tremendous respect for officers and the tough job they do, but there are lines that must be drawn. I don't have any problem with the cams and recorders they use.

I have taken copies of my videos to court for the citizen to see. Defense attorneys can subpoena them just as they can anything else. Believe it or not, patrol car cameras are equipment that is re-used and re-used until its not feasible to install it again. Problems happen, as they do with anything else. If a judge believes that it creates reasonable doubt, then it lets the defendant walk. Normally, the citizen/defendant wants to see video because he/she doesn't believe it exists. Some people simply can't accept responsibility. When the video is introduced it eliminates the notion that they didn't do anything wrong, in a room full of people. Its quite humbling i've heard.

When I show the video of their failed field sobriety or of them running a red light, things change just a little bit. Videos are taken for a reason. I would prefer to have them as to not. As for leaving out exculpatory evidence, thats immoral and unjust. If its evidence, its just that, its evidence. The case is not up to me to decide and prosecute. Thats what some lawyer sat through law school for.

Thats why I keep my mouthshut during a traffic stop. That is your right. If asked a direct question, I will respond as vagley as possible and still be respectfull. If they are trying to word play me into admitting something illegal, good luck. LEO's aren't the only people who can play those games.

I am sure the LEO would allow you use it if it helped your case too.....

It's evidence and will be subpoenaed by the defense. It will be part of the prosecution's case. 99% of the time the defense fights pretty hard to keep the recordings from being seen in court.

Last edited:
It's evidence and will be subpoenaed by the defense. It will be part of the prosecution's case. 99% of the time the defense fights pretty hard to keep the recordings from being seen in court.

I see cases where the video is either missing, "didn't exist" or corrupt. And it is usually where the suspect ends up being not guilty or where the LEO was, let's say not quite right.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom